Re: Hemispheric video pano

  • Dennie Kirtley
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 24, 2008
      For hemispheric video projection, another thought just occured to me. You
      may have read about the new wide field space camera. It is called LSST -
      Large Synoptic Survey Telescope. (a link is here
      http://www.lsst.org/lsst_home.shtml )

      Folks, this telescope has the largest mirror ever cast- 8.4 meters, and it
      has an aperture of F 1.25. That's right - it can just about image the
      proverbial black cat in a coal mine at midnight - and at a distance of
      billions of light years. There is a whopper of a camera attached to it with
      a 3.2 GIGA - NOT MEGA - GIGAPIXEL Imager. It has something on the order of
      200 4K by 4K CCD's. It snaps a wide field photo of the chosen region of the
      sky - a swath of the sky equal to the area of seven moon diameters and
      giving a 3.2 Gig image. It will basically image the whole hemisphere every
      three nights. After this, it begins again and by comparison finds out which
      heavenly bodies have moved. There are literally thousands of scientists
      around the world involved in this effort (and if one of you is a member of
      this group please feel free to correct any erroneous info I may have put up
      here for I am a photographer, not a scientist)

      So this wide field camera is not unlike the GigaPan camera device (itself
      not unlike a wide field telescopic camera), but with the LSST the camera
      doesn't have to move to each position to make a photo - it already has an
      imager in place at that position and all backed by a whopping huge $100
      million dollar lens! But the principle is the same as panoramic

      Anyway, back to my thought. The LSST will produce ultra-high res photos and
      then as layers of movement records accumulate, these snapshots will become
      movies (or more correctly, motion studies). I think this telescope will do
      for star motion recording what the Hubble did for stilll photography of the
      stars - it will revolutionize our understanding of planetary dynamics. And
      what better way to show it to the public than with a hi-res Imax style
      hemispheric projection onto plantetarium walls? Seems to me this is a
      no-brainer. Get the data. Down-res to something manageable and you can
      project hi-res. At this point we are talking here of Hubble-res video of
      galactic motion. Can you just imagine? I mean, we can sit here and say
      this or that objective is what we are after just as they did with the Hubble
      before it went up. But no one could have imagined the staggering beauty of
      the images it produced. I think something on that order will happen here
      with the LSST. And even though I thought it, I am sure this hole has
      already been covered by big brains with big money and it will doubtless