Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Dynamic JavaVRs?

  • Mark Banas (lists)
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
      On Jul 10, 2006, at 11:37 PM, yuval_levy wrote:

      > When you write about an an <quote> easier to understand "visual
      > format" for non-pano folk (as opposed to an equirect) </quote> do you
      > mean for the thumbnail or for the image as a whole? and do you want
      > the image to be interactive, i.e. the user to click and drag inside
      > like a VR, or do you want to show a transformed version of the
      > equirect, flat on the page?

      Hi Yuv,

      Image as a whole, click-and-drag JavaVR. I'd prefer JavaVR (whatever
      type) mainly because my images are already equirectangulars and would
      work as a source - and because Java has a much greater installed base
      than Shockwave (for Spi-V).

      > The basic dynamic page will just have the tags for the VR technology
      > and will replace the file at the appropriate place. You can see such
      > an example at
      > <http://www.items.ch/panoramas/panorama.asp?filenum=298> (PT 185kB)
      > <http://www.items.ch/panoramas/panorama.asp?filenum=300> (QT 684kB)

      While I am sure the delice was just that, the above links are pretty
      much what I want to avoid: no pano ever displayed from either link.
      I think panoserve.atoms.ch wasn't responding fast enough (or at all)...

      As Kathy and Sacha have alluded to, this is probably dead simple if I
      know what I'm doing. Problem is that I'm starting out with a pretty
      fully-developed gallery system and image manager, but trying to stick
      this onto it. Might be better for me to start asking questions of the
      kind folks who developed the gallery in the first place. If only
      their VR viewer actually *worked* I wouldn't have to consider this! I
      might not even pursue it in the end, if only because it could be such
      a waste of time for what amounts to meeting a need I don't know if I
      have. I mean, these aren't real estate images - these are simply
      panoramic HDR images!

      BTW, now that some of you have actually loaded the "high-res"
      equirectangular image onto your screen - congratulations, you have
      been served one of the few truly High Dynamic Range Images viewable
      on the internet! In other words, your browser thought that was a
      tonemapped JPEG, but the image itself contains the 32-bit luminance
      data just waiting for you to copy it to your desktop and open it with
      Photosphere or something else that reads JPEG-HDR files.

      In the very near future, those of us with HDR monitors won't see the
      tonemapped version, but rather a luminously glowing image surrounded
      by the otherwise flat, grey interface of a naive browser. Pretty cool
      once you think about it...

      -Mark
    • Kathy Wheeler
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
        On 11/07/2006, at 2:18 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
        > I guess my thinking (correct me if I'm wrong here) is that since the
        > image has already been loaded on the page at an acceptable resolution
        > (1000x500) then it would be a matter of referencing that same image
        > in the the source of the Java VR. In other words the PHP for the new
        > window with the pano would build off of whatever the Gallery page
        > defined as the source of the main image, which in this case is this
        > cryptic bit of code going back to the database:
        > img src="main.php?
        > g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16&g2_serialNumber=2"

        I just did a right click "View Image" on that img and it certainly
        came up too fast to be coming from anywhere other than the browser
        cache so in theory it should work fine. The only thing I am a little
        uncertain of is how the java viewers interface with the browser/
        server. IF they simply call for the image as (in this case) "main.php?
        g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16&g2_serialNumber=2"
        then it should work. Certainly worth a try.

        > What I think you are saying is that I need to look at the PHP for the
        > Gallery display pages and figure out how it goes from thumbnail to
        > main image and defines that img src, and then to do the same in my
        > panoviewer PHP. Correct?

        Yes.

        > Does it matter that at the time the
        > panoviewer page is called the previous page already has the correct
        > database entry in the generated page it is linked from?

        Shouldn't do. The index for that image should not change. I haven't
        looked at the PHP for Gallery2 to be certain, but it's certainly
        worth a try. If you need any help feel free to contact me off-list so
        we don't bore the good people here with technical coding, just the
        announcement when you get it working ;-)

        Cheers,
        KathyW.
      • Kathy Wheeler
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
          On 11/07/2006, at 2:45 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
          > In the very near future, those of us with HDR monitors won't see the
          > tonemapped version, but rather a luminously glowing image surrounded
          > by the otherwise flat, grey interface of a naive browser. Pretty cool
          > once you think about it...

          Where do I get me one of those monitors and can I afford it (think I
          know the answer to the last bit :-(

          KathyW.
        • Mark Banas (lists)
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
            On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:23 AM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

            > On 11/07/2006, at 2:45 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
            >> In the very near future, those of us with HDR monitors won't see the
            >> tonemapped version, but rather a luminously glowing image surrounded
            >> by the otherwise flat, grey interface of a naive browser. Pretty cool
            >> once you think about it...
            >
            > Where do I get me one of those monitors and can I afford it (think I
            > know the answer to the last bit :-(

            http://www.brightsidetech.com/

            And, um, right now they are around $50,000 USD and mostly handmade -
            but that is 40% off of their original price! ;-)

            As the larger companies, with better manufacturing abilities, get
            involved and license the technology the price will likely fall.
            However, just as with cameras and computers, the really innovative
            stuff will be delayed to maximize the profit of existing tech. I
            heard about this technology in 2002, and now 4 years later it can be
            "purchased." Maybe in another 4 years it can be "afforded?"
          • Mark Banas (lists)
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
              On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:16 AM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

              >> Does it matter that at the time the
              >> panoviewer page is called the previous page already has the correct
              >> database entry in the generated page it is linked from?
              >
              > Shouldn't do. The index for that image should not change. I haven't
              > looked at the PHP for Gallery2 to be certain, but it's certainly
              > worth a try. If you need any help feel free to contact me off-list so
              > we don't bore the good people here with technical coding, just the
              > announcement when you get it working ;-)

              Thanks, Kathy. I will poke around and ask the Gallery2 folks what
              they recommend first, as well as refresh my grey cells with some
              details of PHP coding. I was thinking the hardest part would be
              setting up the java applet to display the image, but it seems just
              *getting* the proper image will be the real struggle for me. (After
              about an hour last night I understood the Immervision applet and XML
              methods - very nice!)

              And thanks to Sacha and Yuval's wonderful examples I can see that the
              end product is quite feasible and workable! I've seen all this
              discussed before, but never had a real need to explore it or learn it.

              -Mark
            • bernharv2000
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
                Hello Mark,

                I use PHP to create some Spi-V content on the fly.

                If i understand your simple need to insert a filename into plugin code
                correctly, a code snippet for Java content could look like this:

                // Get Filename of JPEG-File
                $file = (array_key_exists("file", $_GET)) ? $_GET["file"] : "";
                [...]
                // Generate HTML Page
                ?>
                [...]
                <param name="file" value="<? echo $file ?>">
                [...]

                The call of the dynamic HTML would be something like:
                http://www.mab3d.com/gallery/viewer.php?file=panorama.jpg

                Best regards
                Bernhard
              • vtourdk
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Have a look at "Simpleview" - an automated PHP/PTviewer based previewer
                  I made some years ago. I might not be exactly what you want, but it can
                  give you some idea on how to use PHP for this kind of tasks.

                  http://www.in2.dk/pttours/ <http://www.in2.dk/pttours/>

                  best regards

                  Flemming