Cube converter issues & recommendations

  • maston67
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 24, 2008
      Hi

      Im in the process of converting to 'Flash'

      Ive been laboriously converting my equirectangular tif images into
      cube faces with dosup then individually saving them to jpegs
      with 'save for web' in photoshop (6)

      So now Ive just tried pano2qtvr to convert which works great except
      the jpg converter gives definitely less quality for the same file
      size (patchy areas in plain areas of the image at high compression
      settings)

      Are there any ways to fix this or what about other converters? Any
      recommendations?

      thanks

      Masten

      Masten Gregory
      www.virtutour.com
    • Keith Martin
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 31, 2008
        Sometime around 30/10/08 (at 13:30 +0000) Hans Nyberg said:

        >You also say you use 1750x1750 cubefaces,
        >Reduce it to 1500x1500.

        I agree. Masten, the TIFF you posted is 6000x3000, so the ideal size
        is even slightly smaller than that.

        I just tried making a mov and a set of cubefaces from your TIFF
        image. I took the liberty of patching the zenith and nadir (sorry,
        force of habit! :-) although I didn't labour over this. I used
        Pano2VR to make both the QTVR and cubefaces at 1500px, with JPEG
        quality at 60% - more than I normally use, but this helps with the
        plain walls and delicate shading.

        The results came in at just over 930KB. You can see the mov at
        http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/bar.mov and download the
        cubefaces from http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/bar.zip

        If you're a Windows user then Pano2VR is probably one of the best
        modern solutions for creating your cubefaces. Don't generate faces
        larger than your input image can deliver, and treat the compression
        for each image as a separate case. You'll find that many will work
        fine with a particular compression level, but don't assume that all
        will.