How best to get rid of own shadow

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 58 , Oct 20, 2008
      I have been delighted with the results of using my Sigma 8mm f/3.5 circular
      fisheye with the D300, getting consistently "very good" statistics for
      control point deviation according to PTgui. This is with a unipod. I am
      doing better with the unipod than I did with a tripod and panorama head
      using the Nikon 10.5mm full-frame fisheye which surprised me. Maybe it's
      PTgui that is getting better? <grin>

      But I am encountering one problem. PTgui is now very good about eliminating
      ghosts and not lopping off parts of peoples' bodies at seams, but it cannot
      completely remove the parts of my shadow that overlap on adjacent shots.

      My usual fall-back, painting out the unwanted section in PSD layers after
      the panorama is stitched, won't work if there are bits of the shadow on
      both images at the seam. At the moment I am cloning the surrounding floor
      or ground, but this is time consuming and with my level of skills it is
      not thoroughly convincing. It's still obvious, if you look closely, that
      SOMETHING was there...

      What is the best way of getting rid of my shadow completely?

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 58 of 58 , Oct 24, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Slade <robert@...> wrote:

        > Sacha Griffin wrote:
        > >
        > > From the other images that occupy that space, otherwise it is black.
        >
        > OK, but that's the problem ... if I have set the NPP correctly, then the
        > tripod legs will always cover the same part of the background. Also, the
        > head will always cover the point immediately below the exit pupil of the
        > lens.
        >
        > So I don't understand how you can make the perfect stitch without any
        > cloning or movement of the tripod?

        Take a perfect Nadir as I show how to.
        http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/