Re: Tokina 107 10-17mm used for QTVR tours?

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Slade <robert@...> wrote:

      > But other reviews say it can't be used FF and the "DX" refers to the
      > APS-C size cropped sensor. Another review says the lens hood needs to be
      > shaved if used on a FF body, and this is not a recommended operation
      > since the hood is aluminium and part of the structure of the lens.
      >
      > So is the official website using the expression "full-frame" to say it's
      > FF on the cropped sensor as opposed to non-FF e.g. a circular fisheye?
      >
      > Does anyone use the Tokina on a 35mm full-frame sensor?

      Yes it is the favorite lens for many of us.
      At Photokina recently we were 3 photohraphers using it,
      http://photokina08.ivrpa.org/panoblog/photographer
      Check Aldos, Carlos and mine (Hans Nyberg)
      And we do shave it for use on a 5D or Nikon fullframe.

      Its not that big a thing to do. I did it with as simple metal saw you can buy at a toolshop
      for $3. A discussion about shaving here. http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/5416/

      There are several reasons we like it.
      1. It is sharp, just as sharp as the Nikkor 10,5mm
      2. We can use it in several ways.3 images at 10mm gives you 7000x3500 pixels
      4 images at 12,5mm gives you 8200x4100
      6+1 images at 15-16 mm gives you 11500x5750

      And the NPP can be kept at the same place what ever settings you use.

      I do have the Canon 15mm as well and it is a very good lens which will give you super
      sharp panoramas with 6+1 images.