Re: [PanoToolsNG] 360 degree inside out? How to??

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 16, 2008
      On Wed, October 15, 2008 1:18 pm, kkcwiebe wrote:
      > Ok I'm super happy with my 360 spherical images using my pentax k10d
      > monopod and fisheye setup.
      >
      > Now I want to look inside instead of around.
      >
      > Project is an airplane museum to walk around (virtually) a large plane
      > in flash quicktime or??? I can stitch spherical with ptgui or any
      > panotools flavor but how do you do this type of imagery?

      Just to make a few points here:

      - This is traditionally called "Object VR" (perhaps more due to
      QuicktimeVR calling them "objects")
      - There is no stitching involved (any more than there is for video, for
      instance); the individual images remain individual images
      - The only magic is in the interaction (user interface) - in the simplest
      example (a single row of images), all you're doing is tracking the mouse
      position over the "VR" and jumping to the appropriate frame. If you have
      36 frames, then when the mouse is within the first 1/36th of the image
      area you jump to the first frame; when the mouse is in the second 1/36th
      of the image,you jump to the second frame; and so on

      Because of the simplicity - there is no image warping - this can be
      implemented easily in basically any environment that can display images
      and track mouse position... the most basic JavaScript or Flash skills can
      implement a player in no time. Doing this in Quicktime today *does*
      require an authoring tool (VRWorx or Object2VR) simply because there's no
      easily accessible scripting environment for QT anymore.

      Some tools, like Object2VR, make the process very easy, and give you
      additional capabilities (auto-rotation, for instance), but if you need
      something custom, just about any competent Flash developer should figure
      it out in a snap.