Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Gigapan firmware hacking

  • Bernhard Vogl
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
      > as I missed the first beta I took the bait, tried it and it works.
      > While the gigapan is not designed to handle DSLRs I assembled my own
      > robot and did the programming too. And it runs on a Atmel MCU like the
      > gigapan.
      >
      > I appreciate very well, what CMU has developed. Looking on my robot,
      > it is more the pragmatic approach rather than an academic.
      >
      > But lets collect wishlist points for the gigapan.

      In my collection of panorama robots, there is also an Atmel-driven
      device which i use for fast pole-panos. It has an additional PC
      interface for software control from a Laptop. Unfortunately i don't use
      it often due to lack of opportunities: http://dativ.at/motorhead/
      Another one is a Lego robot for Gigapixel work. Shoots horizontally,
      tilt has to be done manually. Coincidentally with similar software
      features like the Gigapan: http://dativ.at/gigabot/

      So, from my point of view, a wishlisht would start with:
      - Shooting horizontally would be a fine extension for the Gigapan. E.g.
      better for scenic views with moving clouds.
      - Also, i would like to see some "waypoint optimization" so you don't
      loose so much time between row change.
      - The FOV setup shouldn't be done between top and bottom but between
      e.g. upper left edge and lower right so you can set up the right aspect
      ratio for each camera.
      - Head movement with the cursor keys should be with rising speed. Makes
      exact positioning with long lenses easier while full strokes are still
      possible in a timely manner.
      - Storage for predefined setups...etc.

      Best regards
      Bernhard