news about the WWP

  • G. Donald Bain
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2008
      I am sure most of you know about the World Wide Panorama, and many of
      you have participated in it. With a total of 20 quarterly events it
      now presents a showcase of 4772 VR panoramas by 935 participants with
      a truly international scope.

      From the beginning the WWP has been sponsored by the Geography
      Department at the University of California Berkeley, where I worked
      until retiring last July. Unfortunately departmental politics and
      budgetary concerns have resulted in that sponsorship being withdrawn.
      We will lose the free server as of December 20.

      Landis Bennett and I, the original founders of the WWP, have responded
      by setting up a non-profit corporation, the World Wide Panorama
      Foundation, to take over sponsorship of the project. The next WWP
      event, "Best of 2008" will appear New Years Day 2009 at the new site:
      WorldWidePanorama.org, under the aegis of the Foundation.

      We will be asking all participants in previous events to re-authorize
      use of their images under the new arrangement. This will be handled at
      the same time as submission for the best of event, December 18-30.
      Quarterly events will continue and new projects promoting the original
      goals are being considered.

      Detailed announcements and discussion of these issues can be found on
      the WWP list/forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwp/

      I look forward to seeing all of you on the new site with your "Best of
      2008".

      Don Bain