Gigapan firmware hacking

  • jo4mail
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
      not longer a dark secret:
      J4 on the MCU pcb is a standard standard atmel programmer port (ISP)

      this opens up a way to make individual changes, additions, mods ...
    • Bernhard Vogl
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
        Yes, it's not a secret that all parts of the Gigapan are pretty standard parts. Also the stepper motors.
        But if you ever tried to assemble and program your own robot, you will notice that it takes a lot of time and effort to make all that stuff work together ;-)

        Firmware, BTW, is open source, downloadable at sourceforge.net - so, please feel free to improve the Gigapan software. I'd already have some feature requests for a programmer to implement ;-)

        Bernhard

        -------- Original-Nachricht --------

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Vogl" <bvogl@...> wrote:

          > But if you ever tried to assemble and program your own robot, you
          will notice that it takes a lot of time and effort to make all that
          stuff work together ;-)

          > Bernhard

          Hello Bernhard,

          as I missed the first beta I took the bait, tried it and it works.
          While the gigapan is not designed to handle DSLRs I assembled my own
          robot and did the programming too. And it runs on a Atmel MCU like the
          gigapan.

          I appreciate very well, what CMU has developed. Looking on my robot,
          it is more the pragmatic approach rather than an academic.

          But lets collect wishlist points for the gigapan.

          cheers
          Paul
        • Bernhard Vogl
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
            > as I missed the first beta I took the bait, tried it and it works.
            > While the gigapan is not designed to handle DSLRs I assembled my own
            > robot and did the programming too. And it runs on a Atmel MCU like the
            > gigapan.
            >
            > I appreciate very well, what CMU has developed. Looking on my robot,
            > it is more the pragmatic approach rather than an academic.
            >
            > But lets collect wishlist points for the gigapan.

            In my collection of panorama robots, there is also an Atmel-driven
            device which i use for fast pole-panos. It has an additional PC
            interface for software control from a Laptop. Unfortunately i don't use
            it often due to lack of opportunities: http://dativ.at/motorhead/
            Another one is a Lego robot for Gigapixel work. Shoots horizontally,
            tilt has to be done manually. Coincidentally with similar software
            features like the Gigapan: http://dativ.at/gigabot/

            So, from my point of view, a wishlisht would start with:
            - Shooting horizontally would be a fine extension for the Gigapan. E.g.
            better for scenic views with moving clouds.
            - Also, i would like to see some "waypoint optimization" so you don't
            loose so much time between row change.
            - The FOV setup shouldn't be done between top and bottom but between
            e.g. upper left edge and lower right so you can set up the right aspect
            ratio for each camera.
            - Head movement with the cursor keys should be with rising speed. Makes
            exact positioning with long lenses easier while full strokes are still
            possible in a timely manner.
            - Storage for predefined setups...etc.

            Best regards
            Bernhard