Re: "Gotcha" in D300 Bracket Settings

  • bohonus
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2008

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@> wrote:
      >

      > > I found that the offset I needed to compensate for was caused by
      > > selecting the -, 0, + exposure sequence for the bracketed exposures
      > > instead of the default 0, -, + sequence. (I prefer to see the darkest
      > > first, then progressively lighter frames.) But as I was selecting my
      > > exposures in MANUAL mode, the camera was interpreting my manual
      > > exposure settings as appropriate for the FIRST exposure of the bracketed
      > > series AS IF it was the NORMAL exposure. The result was that without
      > > additional offsetting, the first exposure was normal and all the
      > > others OVER exposed. When I reset to the default series with the
      > > normal exposure first, I got proper brackets sets without needing any
      > > offset.
      >
      > Yes this is the normal way to set bracketting.
      > I do not know how it is visualized in the menu on Nikon but on a Canon it shows up
      very
      > clearly how it works when you set it.
      >
      > HANS

      With the Nikon you aren't supposed to set your main exposure while in bracketing mode
      (the light meter isn't even visible on the top LCD while in bracketing mode, only in the
      viewfinder). Set it as you normally would and then put it into bracketing mode. This is one
      of the reasons the bracketing mode button was moved to a more convenient place on the
      D300. The exposures will be handled correctly regardless of the order.