[OSX] ImageFuser 0.4 published

  • Harry van der Wolf
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2008
      Hi Mac users,

      I've been working again on my ImageFuser gui for enfuse/align_image_stack
      for the Mac.
      Changelog for the last 2 (main) and patch versions:

      0.4.0.2 05 October 2008
      * Due to whatever reason the align_image_stack version bundled with
      ImageFuser version 0.4.0.0 and 0.4.0.1 got partially corrupt.

      0.4.0.1 05 October 2008
      * Minor bugfixes

      0.4.0 03 October 2008
      * Added thumbnail view for source images.
      * added basic error checking on text fields.

      0.3.2 02 October 2008 (Not released)
      * *ImageFuser now runs on Tiger too. * (Installed my "old" Tiger on an
      external disk and rebuilt the entire project on Xcode 2.5 / Tiger.)
      * Increased size of preview window.
      * Implemented all align_image_stack options.

      (* backward for 0.2.5: upgraded enblend to 3.2)

      Further info, screenshots and download: Go to my website <
      http://panorama.dyndns.org/index.php?lang=en&subject=ImageFuser&texttag=ImageFuser

      Hoi,
      Harry

    • michel thoby
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
        Hi Harry,

        I did a quick test of 0.4 on Tiger (PPC G5) and it was satisfactory
        when outputting to TIF.
        Unfortunately, I could not get a JPEG output: an error message pops
        up simultaneously with an Imagefuser.JPG file that is empty and
        detected to be "corrupted" when trying to open it with PS.
        BTW I missed a "Cancel" button as I have to kill the Application to
        stop the never ending process.
        In addition the "red" button (to quit/close the window) seems to be
        disabled.

        v0.4 works alright on Leopard.

        Regards,

        Michel

        Le 5 oct. 08 � 19:07, Harry van der Wolf a �crit :

        > Hi Mac users,
        >
        > I've been working again on my ImageFuser gui for enfuse/
        > align_image_stack
        > for the Mac.
        > Changelog for the last 2 (main) and patch versions:
        >
        > 0.4.0.2 05 October 2008
        > * Due to whatever reason the align_image_stack version bundled with
        > ImageFuser version 0.4.0.0 and 0.4.0.1 got partially corrupt.
        >
        > 0.4.0.1 05 October 2008
        > * Minor bug�xes
        >
        > 0.4.0 03 October 2008
        > * Added thumbnail view for source images.
        > * added basic error checking on text �elds.
        >
        > 0.3.2 02 October 2008 (Not released)
        > * *ImageFuser now runs on Tiger too. * (Installed my "old" Tiger on an
        > external disk and rebuilt the entire project on Xcode 2.5 / Tiger.)
        > * Increased size of preview window.
        > * Implemented all align_image_stack options.
        >
        > (* backward for 0.2.5: upgraded enblend to 3.2)
        >
        > Further info, screenshots and download: Go to my website <
        > http://panorama.dyndns.org/index.php?
        > lang=en&subject=ImageFuser&texttag=ImageFuser
        > >

        > Hoi,
        > Harry

      • michel thoby
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
          I must correct my previous message:
          The source images were TIF 16-bits on Tiger and in contrast they were
          JPEG on Leopard.
          I have got the same error with 16-bits on Leopard as well;-(

          Sorry,

          Michel

          Le 6 oct. 08 à 11:21, michel thoby a écrit :

          > Hi Harry,
          >
          > I did a quick test of 0.4 on Tiger (PPC G5) and it was satisfactory
          > when outputting to TIF.
          > Unfortunately, I could not get a JPEG output: an error message pops
          > up simultaneously with an Imagefuser.JPG file that is empty and
          > detected to be "corrupted" when trying to open it with PS.
          > BTW I missed a "Cancel" button as I have to kill the Application to
          > stop the never ending process.
          > In addition the "red" button (to quit/close the window) seems to be
          > disabled.
          >
          > v0.4 works alright on Leopard.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Michel
          >
          > Le 5 oct. 08 ˆ 19:07, Harry van der Wolf a Žcrit :
          >
          >> Hi Mac users,
          >>
          >> I've been working again on my ImageFuser gui for enfuse/
          >> align_image_stack
          >> for the Mac.
          >> Changelog for the last 2 (main) and patch versions:
          >>
          >> 0.4.0.2 05 October 2008
          >> * Due to whatever reason the align_image_stack version bundled with
          >> ImageFuser version 0.4.0.0 and 0.4.0.1 got partially corrupt.
          >>
          >> 0.4.0.1 05 October 2008
          >> * Minor bugÞxes
          >>
          >> 0.4.0 03 October 2008
          >> * Added thumbnail view for source images.
          >> * added basic error checking on text Þelds.
          >>
          >> 0.3.2 02 October 2008 (Not released)
          >> * *ImageFuser now runs on Tiger too. * (Installed my "old" Tiger
          >> on an
          >> external disk and rebuilt the entire project on Xcode 2.5 / Tiger.)
          >> * Increased size of preview window.
          >> * Implemented all align_image_stack options.
          >>
          >> (* backward for 0.2.5: upgraded enblend to 3.2)
          >>
          >> Further info, screenshots and download: Go to my website <
          >> http://panorama.dyndns.org/index.php?
          >> lang=en&subject=ImageFuser&texttag=ImageFuser
          >>>

          >> Hoi,
          >> Harry

        • Harry van der Wolf
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
            Michel,

            I have no idea what causes this. The error indicates that the program tries
            to set a tiff header value into the JPG. It shouldn't do this off course. I
            have tested with 8bit TIFF's (the only ones I have) which "always" work
            correctly. Are your images 16bit TIFF's?
            Could you please share your input images with me or send them directly to
            me?

            Harry

            2008/10/6 michel thoby <thobymichel@...>

            > Hi Harry,
            >
            > I did a quick test of 0.4 on Tiger (PPC G5) and it was satisfactory
            > when outputting to TIF.
            > Unfortunately, I could not get a JPEG output: an error message pops
            > up simultaneously with an Imagefuser.JPG file that is empty and
            > detected to be "corrupted" when trying to open it with PS.
            > BTW I missed a "Cancel" button as I have to kill the Application to
            > stop the never ending process.
            > In addition the "red" button (to quit/close the window) seems to be
            > disabled.
            >
            > v0.4 works alright on Leopard.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Michel
            >
            > Le 5 oct. 08 ˆ 19:07, Harry van der Wolf a Žcrit :
            >
            > > Hi Mac users,
            > >
            > > I've been working again on my ImageFuser gui for enfuse/
            > > align_image_stack
            > > for the Mac.
            > > Changelog for the last 2 (main) and patch versions:
            > >
            > > 0.4.0.2 05 October 2008
            > > * Due to whatever reason the align_image_stack version bundled with
            > > ImageFuser version 0.4.0.0 and 0.4.0.1 got partially corrupt.
            > >
            > > 0.4.0.1 05 October 2008
            > > * Minor bugÞxes
            > >
            > > 0.4.0 03 October 2008
            > > * Added thumbnail view for source images.
            > > * added basic error checking on text Þelds.
            > >
            > > 0.3.2 02 October 2008 (Not released)
            > > * *ImageFuser now runs on Tiger too. * (Installed my "old" Tiger on an
            > > external disk and rebuilt the entire project on Xcode 2.5 / Tiger.)
            > > * Increased size of preview window.
            > > * Implemented all align_image_stack options.
            > >
            > > (* backward for 0.2.5: upgraded enblend to 3.2)
            > >
            > > Further info, screenshots and download: Go to my website <
            > > http://panorama.dyndns.org/index.php?
            > > lang=en&subject=ImageFuser&texttag=ImageFuser
            > > >

            > > Hoi,
            > > Harry

          • Harry van der Wolf
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
              Hi Michel,

              Our messages crossed each other. My second question still remains: Could you

              2008/10/6 Harry van der Wolf <hvdwolf@...>

              > Michel,
              >
              > I have no idea what causes this. The error indicates that the program
              > tries to set a tiff header value into the JPG. It shouldn't do this off
              > course. I have tested with 8bit TIFF's (the only ones I have) which "always"
              > work correctly. Are your images 16bit TIFF's?
              > Could you please share your input images with me or send them directly to
              > me?
              >
              > Harry
              >
              > 2008/10/6 michel thoby <thobymichel@...>
              >
              > Hi Harry,
              >>
              >> I did a quick test of 0.4 on Tiger (PPC G5) and it was satisfactory
              >> when outputting to TIF.
              >> Unfortunately, I could not get a JPEG output: an error message pops
              >> up simultaneously with an Imagefuser.JPG file that is empty and
              >> detected to be "corrupted" when trying to open it with PS.
              >> BTW I missed a "Cancel" button as I have to kill the Application to
              >> stop the never ending process.
              >> In addition the "red" button (to quit/close the window) seems to be
              >> disabled.
              >>
              >> v0.4 works alright on Leopard.
              >>
              >> Regards,
              >>
              >> Michel
              >>
              >> Le 5 oct. 08 ˆ 19:07, Harry van der Wolf a Žcrit :
              >>
              >> > Hi Mac users,
              >> >
              >> > I've been working again on my ImageFuser gui for enfuse/
              >> > align_image_stack
              >> > for the Mac.
              >> > Changelog for the last 2 (main) and patch versions:
              >> >
              >> > 0.4.0.2 05 October 2008
              >> > * Due to whatever reason the align_image_stack version bundled with
              >> > ImageFuser version 0.4.0.0 and 0.4.0.1 got partially corrupt.
              >> >
              >> > 0.4.0.1 05 October 2008
              >> > * Minor bugÞxes
              >> >
              >> > 0.4.0 03 October 2008
              >> > * Added thumbnail view for source images.
              >> > * added basic error checking on text Þelds.
              >> >
              >> > 0.3.2 02 October 2008 (Not released)
              >> > * *ImageFuser now runs on Tiger too. * (Installed my "old" Tiger on an
              >> > external disk and rebuilt the entire project on Xcode 2.5 / Tiger.)
              >> > * Increased size of preview window.
              >> > * Implemented all align_image_stack options.
              >> >
              >> > (* backward for 0.2.5: upgraded enblend to 3.2)
              >> >
              >> > Further info, screenshots and download: Go to my website <
              >> > http://panorama.dyndns.org/index.php?
              >> > lang=en&subject=ImageFuser&texttag=ImageFuser
              >> > >

              >> > Hoi,
              >> > Harry

              >> ------------------------------------
              >>
              >> --

            • Bruno Postle
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
                On Mon 06-Oct-2008 at 11:41 +0200, michel thoby wrote:
                >I must correct my previous message:
                >The source images were TIF 16-bits on Tiger and in contrast they were
                >JPEG on Leopard.

                I'm pretty sure that enblend/enfuse doesn't have any code to reduce
                16bit to 8bit JPEG.

                --
                Bruno
              • Harry van der Wolf
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
                  Hi Bruno,

                  To make it more specific: Do you mean that enfuse only handles 8bit tiff ->
                  jpeg conversion?
                  And in other words: If 16bitt tiff input is given and the user wants 8bit
                  jpg output, I first need to convert to 8bit tiff and then to jpeg?

                  Harry

                  2008/10/6 Bruno Postle <bruno@...>

                  > On Mon 06-Oct-2008 at 11:41 +0200, michel thoby wrote:
                  > >I must correct my previous message:
                  > >The source images were TIF 16-bits on Tiger and in contrast they were
                  > >JPEG on Leopard.
                  >
                  > I'm pretty sure that enblend/enfuse doesn't have any code to reduce
                  > 16bit to 8bit JPEG.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Bruno

                • Bruno Postle
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
                    On Mon 06-Oct-2008 at 12:49 +0200, Harry van der Wolf wrote:

                    >To make it more specific: Do you mean that enfuse only handles 8bit tiff ->
                    >jpeg conversion?

                    Yes as I remember, I can't test it here.

                    >And in other words: If 16bitt tiff input is given and the user wants 8bit
                    >jpg output, I first need to convert to 8bit tiff and then to jpeg?

                    ..or disable JPEG output for 16bit TIFF input, or change
                    enblend-enfuse - probably easier.

                    --
                    Bruno
                  • michel thoby
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
                      Harry,

                      You will be soon noticed by E-mail from SendSpace when the sample
                      images will be ready for a download.

                      Regards,

                      Michel

                      Le 6 oct. 08 à 12:06, Harry van der Wolf a écrit :

                      > Hi Michel,
                      >
                      > Our messages crossed each other. My second question still remains:
                      > Could you
                      > please share your input images with me or send them directly to me?
                      >
                      > Harry

                    • Harry van der Wolf
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
                        Hi Bruno,

                        Changing enblend-enfuse is the most appealing option. I suppose that can be
                        done overnight? ;)

                        enblend.sourceforge.net mentions "Added support for writing JPEG output
                        files (8 bit only)."
                        It doesn't mention anything about the required input. So, should we consider
                        this as a bug or as a feature request?
                        I think for the time being I need to check for 16 bit or 8bit tiff and
                        disable jpeg for 16bit tiff (and give the user a warning).

                        And as a side note: compilation of enblend/enfuse (on OSX) always gives a
                        stream of warnings about tiffio.h during configure and compile. As they are
                        warnings I never pay attention to them. Maybe I should compile again and do
                        pay attention to the warnings.

                        thanks for your feedback.

                        Harry

                        2008/10/6 Bruno Postle <bruno@...>

                        > On Mon 06-Oct-2008 at 12:49 +0200, Harry van der Wolf wrote:
                        > >
                        > >To make it more specific: Do you mean that enfuse only handles 8bit tiff
                        > ->
                        > >jpeg conversion?
                        >
                        > Yes as I remember, I can't test it here.
                        >
                        > >And in other words: If 16bitt tiff input is given and the user wants 8bit
                        > >jpg output, I first need to convert to 8bit tiff and then to jpeg?
                        >
                        > ..or disable JPEG output for 16bit TIFF input, or change
                        > enblend-enfuse - probably easier.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Bruno

                      • Bruno Postle
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
                          On Mon 06-Oct-2008 at 15:40 +0200, Harry van der Wolf wrote:
                          >It doesn't mention anything about the required input. So, should we consider
                          >this as a bug or as a feature request?

                          Assuming that I remembered it correctly, it's a bug that would be
                          easy to fix.

                          >And as a side note: compilation of enblend/enfuse (on OSX) always gives a
                          >stream of warnings about tiffio.h during configure and compile. As they are
                          >warnings I never pay attention to them. Maybe I should compile again and do
                          >pay attention to the warnings.

                          It's probably unrelated, compiling often produces lots of warnings.

                          --
                          Bruno
                        • Harry van der Wolf
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
                            Hi Michel,

                            I received the mail and downloaded the images. I can use these to
                            experiment with and decide which strategy to pick.
                            - Block jpg output (and tell the user).
                            - Convert 16bit to 8bit and then to jpg (and tell the user why).
                            - Or just ask the user what he/she wants: option 1 or 2.

                            Thanks a lot.