Formulas to remap pan, tilt and roll in equirectangular images

  • Valentijn Kint
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I have a project where I create polar panoramic video by animating the
      pan and tilt parameters. I did this by creating batch files for
      pano2vr. However I want to do the transformations in real-time.
      So here's my question:

      Where can I find the formulas to remap pan and tilt in equirectangular
      images?

      more info on the project here:
      http://www.vknt.be/2008/09/25/25d-happy-new-ears-rez-08/

      Thanks in advance!
      VKNT
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
        I'd be interested in seeing the projection algorithm for
        cube faces.

        Here's the Mathimatica page for the gnomic projections I used
        in my viewer. I think PTViewer and other viewers use a simpler
        projection scheme. I used these just for fun...

        http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GnomonicProjection.html

        They are not easy to implement. I've been working for a year on my
        Java viewer.

        Here's a couple of images in my viewer:

        http://pancyl.com/LaCavern1.htm

        http://pancyl.com/Carrousel1.htm

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
          Valentijn Kint wrote:
          > I have a project where I create polar panoramic video by animating the
          > pan and tilt parameters. I did this by creating batch files for
          > pano2vr. However I want to do the transformations in real-time.
          > So here's my question:
          >
          > Where can I find the formulas to remap pan and tilt in equirectangular
          > images?

          I don't understand exactly what you want to do but most likely this
          involves the use of Euler Angles in order to transform three-dimensional
          angular coordinates. You find the code to do that in the panotools
          library source code, most likely in math.c Get the original panotools
          sources from http://www.all-in-one.ee/~dersch/ or the recent ones from
          http://panotools.sourceforge.net/

          Please respect the GPL if you use panotools code.

          best regards
        • Valentijn Kint
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
            Thankyou for the reply Mr. Krause. I think I found the transformation
            formulas in the math.c file

            I want to do pan, tilt and roll transformations in (near) real-time ,
            so I'm trying to port the formulas to GLSL (PixelBender) or
            processing. I haven't
            got much experience in these areas yet, so if anyone wants to help me
            out, please contact me.

            If you want to know what effect I'm after, check out this video.
            http://vimeo.com/1813849 or my article