Re: [PanoToolsNG] New Stitcher from Microsoft: ICE

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
      On Fri, October 3, 2008 10:45 am, Jim Watters wrote:
      > I tried it on a large partial pano with a 300mm lens.
      > Yes It was fast. Yes it blended the images together nicely and removed
      > light falloff.
      > But it failed to successfully add all images that made up the sky and
      > just left holes and offered no way to manually add those images it
      > missed. I found it a little too simple.

      I haven't tried it on anything that had wide open skies... I did have a
      set of low-rez screenshots from a game (I work in a gaming company now)
      which couldn't be fully stitched by PTGUI's control point generator
      (specifically, images of a ground surface without much detail other than
      typical ground textures), but which ICE handled fine.

      Anyhow, I love seeing the state of the art advancing - it's great to see
      research coming out of big companies again, since Apple appears to be
      completely disinterested in VR (and generally, in far-reaching R&D which
      they once invested lots in). Even if we don't use the products, ultimately
      just the infusion of new ideas, demonstrations of neat concepts, are good
      for everyone.