Re: [PanoToolsNG] New Stitcher from Microsoft: ICE

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
      I tried it on a large partial pano with a 300mm lens.
      Yes It was fast. Yes it blended the images together nicely and removed
      light falloff.
      But it failed to successfully add all images that made up the sky and
      just left holes and offered no way to manually add those images it
      missed. I found it a little too simple.

      It just happened to be the project I was working on at the time. I did
      not bother testing with other lenses.

      --
      Jim Watters

      jwatters @ photocreations . ca
      http://photocreations.ca

      Roger Howard wrote:
      > I won't comment on the politics of using Microsoft products... but however
      > you feel about MS, I think we should always be open to at least learning
      > what works (and what doesn't) from other products. ICE is fast, has so far
      > been very accurate in stitching for me, and is about as straightforward
      > and uncluttered as it could be. I got results instantly; the hardware
      > accelerated viewing/alignment tool works great; it basically "just worked"
      > as I expected it to; and it's free.

    • Roger Howard
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
        On Fri, October 3, 2008 10:45 am, Jim Watters wrote:
        > I tried it on a large partial pano with a 300mm lens.
        > Yes It was fast. Yes it blended the images together nicely and removed
        > light falloff.
        > But it failed to successfully add all images that made up the sky and
        > just left holes and offered no way to manually add those images it
        > missed. I found it a little too simple.

        I haven't tried it on anything that had wide open skies... I did have a
        set of low-rez screenshots from a game (I work in a gaming company now)
        which couldn't be fully stitched by PTGUI's control point generator
        (specifically, images of a ground surface without much detail other than
        typical ground textures), but which ICE handled fine.

        Anyhow, I love seeing the state of the art advancing - it's great to see
        research coming out of big companies again, since Apple appears to be
        completely disinterested in VR (and generally, in far-reaching R&D which
        they once invested lots in). Even if we don't use the products, ultimately
        just the infusion of new ideas, demonstrations of neat concepts, are good
        for everyone.