Re: [PanoToolsNG] New Stitcher from Microsoft: ICE

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
      I won't comment on the politics of using Microsoft products... but however
      you feel about MS, I think we should always be open to at least learning
      what works (and what doesn't) from other products. ICE is fast, has so far
      been very accurate in stitching for me, and is about as straightforward
      and uncluttered as it could be. I got results instantly; the hardware
      accelerated viewing/alignment tool works great; it basically "just worked"
      as I expected it to; and it's free.

      Again, not interested in debating it's parent companies business
      practices; just looking at it as a product.
    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
        I tried it on a large partial pano with a 300mm lens.
        Yes It was fast. Yes it blended the images together nicely and removed
        light falloff.
        But it failed to successfully add all images that made up the sky and
        just left holes and offered no way to manually add those images it
        missed. I found it a little too simple.

        It just happened to be the project I was working on at the time. I did
        not bother testing with other lenses.

        --
        Jim Watters

        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        http://photocreations.ca

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
          On Fri, October 3, 2008 10:45 am, Jim Watters wrote:
          > I tried it on a large partial pano with a 300mm lens.
          > Yes It was fast. Yes it blended the images together nicely and removed
          > light falloff.
          > But it failed to successfully add all images that made up the sky and
          > just left holes and offered no way to manually add those images it
          > missed. I found it a little too simple.

          I haven't tried it on anything that had wide open skies... I did have a
          set of low-rez screenshots from a game (I work in a gaming company now)
          which couldn't be fully stitched by PTGUI's control point generator
          (specifically, images of a ground surface without much detail other than
          typical ground textures), but which ICE handled fine.

          Anyhow, I love seeing the state of the art advancing - it's great to see
          research coming out of big companies again, since Apple appears to be
          completely disinterested in VR (and generally, in far-reaching R&D which
          they once invested lots in). Even if we don't use the products, ultimately
          just the infusion of new ideas, demonstrations of neat concepts, are good
          for everyone.