Re: Papervision 3D

  • sphereworks
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 2, 2008
      I've just had a look at http://panosalado.com, the image didn't run
      as smooth as a lot of the new Flash images around, including the ones
      I produce with Pano2VR. The smaller image on panosalado wasn't too
      bad but when I went full screen it was jerky - though I will pass the
      link on to my Flash friend to see what he thinks of it.

      'Define slower computers.' - I suppose about 7-10 years old, I will
      ask my friend to clarify that.

      >It sounds like you could be thinking of two different things here -
      >playback performance (i.e. does it choke up or move jerkily) vs
      >quality performance (straight lines and smooth pixel blending).

      Yes I think I've confused things slightly.... My Flash friend who
      doesn't want to use our photography because of performance issues is
      talking about the way the images choke up and move jerkily on slower
      computers. He won't use QuickTime so that isn't an option. The
      issue with wavy lines etc isn't anything he's worried about.

      The Papervision 3D link I gave show's really bad distortions and
      isn't a full sphere - I don't like it one bit and it's probably one
      of the worst VR images I've seen. What I'm trying to find out is if
      the image runs the same on an older computer as it does on a modern
      computer. But I think someone else answered by saying Flash 10 will
      improve this and should wait until that comes out fully?

      I'm very happy with the performance I have right now with Pano2VR and
      with what I've seen with FPP - just haven't had the time to work out
      FPP yet. As a commercial photographer I do come across clients who
      have performance issues, for example Councils who need all media on
      their site to be accessible to everybody !! Which usually results in
      only a few small jpegs being used, which is daft if you ask me.

      Pete
      www.sphereworks.co.uk

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Cheatham" <patrick@...>

      http://www.papervision3d.org/demos/panorama/
      > > Not keen on the navigation but I'm told the performance is better
      than
      > > what I'm producing with Flash at the moment. This is using
      action
      > > script 3. This is a little beyond my knowledge so apologies if
      this is
      > > nothing new.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Pete
      > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
      >
      > Pete, Ken, Philipp, et al:
      >
      > If you'd like to see a Papervision3D based panorama viewer that
      doesn't suck (or at least
      > doesn't suuuck ;-) ), you might check out Panosalado. It's open
      source and snappy.

      > http://panosalado.com
      > or
      > http://panosalado.googlecode.com
      >
      > Also, Papervision does _not_ use hardware acceleration AFAIK.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Patrick

    • AYRTON
      Message 33 of 33 , Oct 3, 2008
        On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Hans Nyberg <hans@...> wrote:

        > > I could see the cubes still loaded behind the cyls for example.
        >
        > Same here
        > Mac dual Core 2.0 G5 8 GB Ram OS 10.4.11 Safari
        >
        > 1st only BlackandWhite ? Intentional or a preview?
        > at No 3 it started to get very unresposible.
        > 4 Did not load. Just a blink of it.
        > 5 the QTVR Totally freezing after loaded. Jumped around a couple of times
        > by it self.

        Patrick, Hans, Sacha ....

        Here
        ALL is PERFECT
        no problem at all
        I've tried different times and different ways, and all worked fine !

        intel 2.33 ghz
        Core 2 Duo
        OS X 10.4.11
        QT 7.5.5