Re: Workflow for publishing panos

  • fierodeval
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi Mark,

      But, if you use a for plug-in detection system, why to create several
      HTML pages? You should create only one HTML and open the virtual tours
      with the detecting code.

      For example, I think you know detectvr script (
      http://www.devalvr.com/instalacion/detectvr.zip ). You could create a
      fullscreen page and insert the Javascript code to open the VRTours of
      all plugins in that page, one HTML page for one VRTour (several
      plugins). Or you could use a bit of Javascript to use only one HTML
      page for all VRtours, for example Erik Leeman used detectvr in his
      site to do it http://www.erikleeman.com/HTM/english-large-NL.htm (You
      can see all panoramas are open with the same HTML file)

      regards!
      fiero

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

      > If you've seen my site (www.northernlight.net), then you are probably
      > already aware of how little I've done lately with publishing panos.
      After
      > seeing what was done at www.nyc.360cities.net, I'd really like to
      learn more
      > about the workflow of publishing.
      >
      > I've spent the last few days poking around at both JATC and the trial
      > version of Pleinpot. I've come up with some initial thoughts and
      wanted to
      > get feedback before I go any further.
      >
      > For "simple" small tours, for example a B&B where all you want is a
      floor
      > plan and hot spots, JATC seems to be the perfect solution. Depending
      on what
      > the client wants regarding plug-ins, it gives me several options for
      output.

      > For more complicated tours, such as a town or city, using the Google API
      > looks like the most intuitive interface for the end users. The learning
      > curve is definitely higher, but from what little I've read, it
      doesn't look
      > impossible.
      >
      > I could also see a point where a combination of the two would make
      sense. If
      > there was a client in NYC that wanted a virtual tour of their hotel,
      then
      > the initial link to the hotel would be via the Google API interface, but
      > once you click on their link, it would take you to a virtual tour
      produced
      > by JATC. Does that sound reasonable?
      >
      > My question is, where does Pleinpot come into all of this? From my
      limited
      > testing, it does a great job of easily creating standalone full
      screen html
      > in a variety of formats, QT, Deval, SPi-V, Java and Flash. JATC can
      do these
      > formats as well, so my guess is that I wouldn't need Pleinpot for a
      small
      > tour, but for the larger Google based one, I would?
      >
      > If so, would I put browser and plug-in detection on the Google link
      so that
      > the proper html is fed to the end user? That would mean that for
      every pano
      > that I want to display, I have to create separate html in as many as
      five
      > flavors. That sounds like a lot of work and an amazing proliferation
      of html
      > pages.
      >
      > Is there a more streamlined approach that I've missed?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Mark
      > www.nyc.360cities.net
      > www.pinnacle-vr.com
      > www.northernlight.net

    • Thomas Krueger
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
        Publishing panos on the web I use Flash panos with the SWFObject script
        inside a lightbox (Shadowbox JS). The conversion of the equirectangular pano
        is done with Pano2VR to a single swf file.

        If somebody hasn't Flash 9 installed, the script SWFObject provides an
        automatic installation. With the script you can also point to an alternative
        content if there is no Flash plugin at the visitors computer installed.
        Pointing the alternative content to the script detectvr you should cover the
        needs of all visitors viewing the panorama with one of the currently
        available viewers.

        For geolocated panos I'd like to test the CMS PanoMap Panoramic Picture
        Management System http://www.panomap.cn/en www.panomap.cn/en - but it
        needs a windows hosting with ASP and MSSQL.

        Thomas
      • Jim Watters
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
          Wow Fiero! It was in Feb when Mark asked this question. I had to check
          his site to make sure he didn't update it in the mean time.

          I do find this valuable information. I have been wanting to up date my
          own site for a long time too. And I just ordered a SpaceNavigator from
          3DConnexion so I better be able to display using DevalVR.

          --
          Jim Watters

          Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
          jwatters @ photocreations . ca
          http://photocreations.ca
        • fierodeval
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
            wow! I would have sworn that I saw "Sep 12, 2008" in the date of
            Mark's post, but now I see "Feb 12, 2008". Oh my god! I can not rely
            on my tired eyes... :-O