historic panoramas of world cities

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
      I stumbled across this catalog with lots of nice historic panoramas of
      world cities ...
      http://www.shapero.com/images/Image/PDF/Panorama.pdf

      one of the Sydney ones I wrote about before -- I had a job stitching
      it into a continuous view -- and shooting the present day view
      http://www.mediavr.com/oldnewpand.htm

      Peter Murphy
    • robert_harshman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2008
        Thanks for posting this Peter, It's great to see these and take some
        time to think about how they were made, the challenges that faced the
        photographers and the decisions they made. Too bad the book
        presentation chops so many of these up and is so low res but I
        understand their concerns when you realize this is a catalogue
        selling the prints.

        I had the pleasure of seeing in person a 3-4 feet by 40 feet or so
        panoramic print of Chicago a few weeks after it's "Great" fire. It
        was re-made from a series of glass 8 by 10 negatives. It was amazing.

        As a group I think we could all spent a bit more time understanding
        those that came before us in this craft. There is a lot to learn from
        such an undertaking.

        Regards,

        Robert Harshman