Re: [PanoToolsNG] helping the IE6 crowd upgrade

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
      ....suffer.... like the rest of us.

      Jeffrey Martin wrote:
      > I've thought instead to have a friendly popup appear on our web page for
      > people who view the page in IE6. Something like:
      >
      > "This website has been built using state-of-the-art techniques, some of
      > which might perform slowly on the browser you are using. If you are
      > interested in seeing all of your web pages
      > load faster and perform better, we recommend that you install firefox,
      > opera, or chrome. (If you are a corporate user who does not have permission
      > to install software, it should be possible to install Chrome)"
      >
      > I'm only half joking here. The truth of the matter really is that IE6 users
      > are hampering the evolution of the web by continuing to use this obsolete
      > browser, and they are wasting the time of every web developer in the world,
      > who eventually has to hack together stuff to make their site work properly
      > on this non-standards-compliant abomination.
      >
      > Does anyone have a good idea on what do to about this? Or is it a lost cause
      > that we'll have to suffer through for another few years?
      >
      > :-O
      >
      > Jeffrey

    • Kathy Wheeler
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
        On 01/10/2008, at 10:03 PM, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

        > I'm only half joking here. The truth of the matter really is that
        > IE6 users
        > are hampering the evolution of the web by continuing to use this
        > obsolete
        > browser, and they are wasting the time of every web developer in
        > the world,
        > who eventually has to hack together stuff to make their site work
        > properly
        > on this non-standards-compliant abomination.

        Couldn't agree more Jeffrey. If ie6 went into self-destruct mode
        tomorrow (well any time ... ) I'd be breaking out the champagne!
        Kludging validated markup to pacify or work around ie6's numerous
        bugs virtually doubles development time (and cost). It's bug-ridden
        piece of sh!t with security holes you could drive a road-train
        through, but you just can't save some people from themselves <sigh>.
        It's just a p.i.a. End of story.

        My sympathies,
        KathyW.
      • Ronald
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
          I feel your pain Jeffry ;-)
          I just started scratching the surface of css, and already having
          sleeping problems.
          Btw, I just came across http://browsershots.org/ It's a site that
          provides screenshots of your site in almost every OS/browser flavour.
          Might come in handy. It does have a daily limit though..

          Regards,
          Ronald

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...>