Help with fishey remapping

  • Max
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
      Recently I bought the new sigma 8mm fishey.
      Now I have a problem with remapping the images to normal view, for
      example this picture:
      http://panoramaweb.at/test/IMG_6750.jpg

      Please can someone tell me a tutorial for doing this, I think it
      should be possible only with panotools (horizontal/vertical lines),
      but I can't finde something useful at panotools.org or in this newsgroup.

      Regards
      Max
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <panoramaweb_at@...> wrote:

        > Recently I bought the new sigma 8mm fishey.
        > Now I have a problem with remapping the images to normal view,

        Perhaps the image isn't quite what it appears to be. I assume a
        circular crop is 180 degrees fov. The painting then has an angle of
        view of some 145 degrees. A "normal" rectilinear view is therefore not
        practical. But is the painting actually flat? It looks like it's on a
        curved wall in a qtvr. I did actually manage to get a more-or-less
        rectilinear image by performing two remappings, but with a tiny amount
        of Photoshopping to finish off.

        http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/panopicr.jpg

        John
      • Marlon Moyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
          John, can you document how you did that. When I looked at it at first, I
          thought there was no way, but what you've done is incredible.

          --
          Marlon

        • Max
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
            Hi John,

            You are right, I should have tell that:
            This painting is from Claude Monet exhibited in Musée de l'Orangeri.
            It is mounted on an oval wall and the fov is approximately 160 degree.

            How did you do the two remappings? Why is normal remapping on none
            flat objects not possible?

            THX for helping
            Max

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <panoramaweb_at@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Recently I bought the new sigma 8mm fishey.
            > > Now I have a problem with remapping the images to normal view,
            >
            > Perhaps the image isn't quite what it appears to be. I assume a
            > circular crop is 180 degrees fov. The painting then has an angle of
            > view of some 145 degrees. A "normal" rectilinear view is therefore not
            > practical. But is the painting actually flat? It looks like it's on a
            > curved wall in a qtvr. I did actually manage to get a more-or-less
            > rectilinear image by performing two remappings, but with a tiny amount
            > of Photoshopping to finish off.
            >
            > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/panopicr.jpg
            >
            > John

          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <panoramaweb_at@...> wrote:

              > How did you do the two remappings? Why is normal remapping on none
              > flat objects not possible?

              Not being quite sure what I was working with, I first converted the 180
              degree fisheye image to 150 degree cylindrical (using PTGui). Then I
              used that image as input (type cylindrical), and varied its hfov to
              give a rectangular output image in rectilinear format. The lens hfov
              was around 110. No doubt the image has some distortions, but given the
              nature of the painting, it's difficult to tell!

              John
            • pau
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
                Hi, I used the little (but great and free) application Defish for mac
                to try to get a rectilinear image.
                I adjusted the fish-eye circle and setup the output parameters, in
                this case 150 x 140 degree.

                http://www.pau.cc/IMG_6750.150x140.jpg

                As you can see the image resulting from this is oval, is it ovaled
                the painting too?

                pau valiente
                www.pau.cc

                El 11/09/2006, a las 21:36, Max escribió:

                > Recently I bought the new sigma 8mm fishey.
                > Now I have a problem with remapping the images to normal view, for
                > example this picture:
                > http://panoramaweb.at/test/IMG_6750.jpg
                >
                > Please can someone tell me a tutorial for doing this, I think it
                > should be possible only with panotools (horizontal/vertical lines),
                > but I can't finde something useful at panotools.org or in this
                > newsgroup.
                >
                > Regards
                > Max

              • Max Gruber
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 12, 2006
                  THX for your workflow for this problem. I did it myself and got a
                  result, not as good as your's because of waves in the horizont, but
                  still ok.
                  An other solution is to do just a warp transformation in photoshop
                  which provides also a good result.

                  For the actual problem both solutions are ok, because I will cut the
                  picture frame and the contortions can not be seen with the painting.

                  Regards
                  Max