Re: [PanoToolsNG] helping the IE6 crowd upgrade

  • panokaemena@mac.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
      I just checked my website
      in the last 4 months these browsers were used:

      IE 53%
      FF WIN 25%
      Safari/MAC 11%
      FF/Mac 3.8%

      analysing the 53% IE users gives following result:

      IE Version
      7.0: 64%
      6.0 35 %

      these # are based on 52000 Pageviews

      Willy Kaemena

      http://bremen.360cities.net/
      http://syria.360cities.net/
      http://lisbon.360cities.net/

      On Oct 1, 2008, at 14:03, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

      > I've thought instead to have a friendly popup appear on our web page
      > for
      > people who view the page in IE6. Something like:
      >
      > "This website has been built using state-of-the-art techniques, some
      > of
      > which might perform slowly on the browser you are using. If you are
      > interested in seeing all of your web pages
      > load faster and perform better, we recommend that you install firefox,
      > opera, or chrome. (If you are a corporate user who does not have
      > permission
      > to install software, it should be possible to install Chrome)"
      >
      > I'm only half joking here. The truth of the matter really is that
      > IE6 users
      > are hampering the evolution of the web by continuing to use this
      > obsolete
      > browser, and they are wasting the time of every web developer in the
      > world,
      > who eventually has to hack together stuff to make their site work
      > properly
      > on this non-standards-compliant abomination.
      >
      > Does anyone have a good idea on what do to about this? Or is it a
      > lost cause
      > that we'll have to suffer through for another few years?
      >
      > :-O
      >
      > Jeffrey

    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
        ....suffer.... like the rest of us.

        Jeffrey Martin wrote:
        > I've thought instead to have a friendly popup appear on our web page for
        > people who view the page in IE6. Something like:
        >
        > "This website has been built using state-of-the-art techniques, some of
        > which might perform slowly on the browser you are using. If you are
        > interested in seeing all of your web pages
        > load faster and perform better, we recommend that you install firefox,
        > opera, or chrome. (If you are a corporate user who does not have permission
        > to install software, it should be possible to install Chrome)"
        >
        > I'm only half joking here. The truth of the matter really is that IE6 users
        > are hampering the evolution of the web by continuing to use this obsolete
        > browser, and they are wasting the time of every web developer in the world,
        > who eventually has to hack together stuff to make their site work properly
        > on this non-standards-compliant abomination.
        >
        > Does anyone have a good idea on what do to about this? Or is it a lost cause
        > that we'll have to suffer through for another few years?
        >
        > :-O
        >
        > Jeffrey

      • Kathy Wheeler
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
          On 01/10/2008, at 10:03 PM, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

          > I'm only half joking here. The truth of the matter really is that
          > IE6 users
          > are hampering the evolution of the web by continuing to use this
          > obsolete
          > browser, and they are wasting the time of every web developer in
          > the world,
          > who eventually has to hack together stuff to make their site work
          > properly
          > on this non-standards-compliant abomination.

          Couldn't agree more Jeffrey. If ie6 went into self-destruct mode
          tomorrow (well any time ... ) I'd be breaking out the champagne!
          Kludging validated markup to pacify or work around ie6's numerous
          bugs virtually doubles development time (and cost). It's bug-ridden
          piece of sh!t with security holes you could drive a road-train
          through, but you just can't save some people from themselves <sigh>.
          It's just a p.i.a. End of story.

          My sympathies,
          KathyW.
        • Ronald
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
            I feel your pain Jeffry ;-)
            I just started scratching the surface of css, and already having
            sleeping problems.
            Btw, I just came across http://browsershots.org/ It's a site that
            provides screenshots of your site in almost every OS/browser flavour.
            Might come in handy. It does have a daily limit though..

            Regards,
            Ronald

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...>