helping the IE6 crowd upgrade

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
      I've thought instead to have a friendly popup appear on our web page for
      people who view the page in IE6. Something like:

      "This website has been built using state-of-the-art techniques, some of
      which might perform slowly on the browser you are using. If you are
      interested in seeing all of your web pages
      load faster and perform better, we recommend that you install firefox,
      opera, or chrome. (If you are a corporate user who does not have permission
      to install software, it should be possible to install Chrome)"

      I'm only half joking here. The truth of the matter really is that IE6 users
      are hampering the evolution of the web by continuing to use this obsolete
      browser, and they are wasting the time of every web developer in the world,
      who eventually has to hack together stuff to make their site work properly
      on this non-standards-compliant abomination.

      Does anyone have a good idea on what do to about this? Or is it a lost cause
      that we'll have to suffer through for another few years?

      :-O

      Jeffrey

    • panokaemena@mac.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
        I just checked my website
        in the last 4 months these browsers were used:

        IE 53%
        FF WIN 25%
        Safari/MAC 11%
        FF/Mac 3.8%

        analysing the 53% IE users gives following result:

        IE Version
        7.0: 64%
        6.0 35 %

        these # are based on 52000 Pageviews

        Willy Kaemena

        http://bremen.360cities.net/
        http://syria.360cities.net/
        http://lisbon.360cities.net/

        On Oct 1, 2008, at 14:03, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

        > I've thought instead to have a friendly popup appear on our web page
        > for
        > people who view the page in IE6. Something like:
        >
        > "This website has been built using state-of-the-art techniques, some
        > of
        > which might perform slowly on the browser you are using. If you are
        > interested in seeing all of your web pages
        > load faster and perform better, we recommend that you install firefox,
        > opera, or chrome. (If you are a corporate user who does not have
        > permission
        > to install software, it should be possible to install Chrome)"
        >
        > I'm only half joking here. The truth of the matter really is that
        > IE6 users
        > are hampering the evolution of the web by continuing to use this
        > obsolete
        > browser, and they are wasting the time of every web developer in the
        > world,
        > who eventually has to hack together stuff to make their site work
        > properly
        > on this non-standards-compliant abomination.
        >
        > Does anyone have a good idea on what do to about this? Or is it a
        > lost cause
        > that we'll have to suffer through for another few years?
        >
        > :-O
        >
        > Jeffrey

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
          ....suffer.... like the rest of us.

          Jeffrey Martin wrote:
          > I've thought instead to have a friendly popup appear on our web page for
          > people who view the page in IE6. Something like:
          >
          > "This website has been built using state-of-the-art techniques, some of
          > which might perform slowly on the browser you are using. If you are
          > interested in seeing all of your web pages
          > load faster and perform better, we recommend that you install firefox,
          > opera, or chrome. (If you are a corporate user who does not have permission
          > to install software, it should be possible to install Chrome)"
          >
          > I'm only half joking here. The truth of the matter really is that IE6 users
          > are hampering the evolution of the web by continuing to use this obsolete
          > browser, and they are wasting the time of every web developer in the world,
          > who eventually has to hack together stuff to make their site work properly
          > on this non-standards-compliant abomination.
          >
          > Does anyone have a good idea on what do to about this? Or is it a lost cause
          > that we'll have to suffer through for another few years?
          >
          > :-O
          >
          > Jeffrey

        • Kathy Wheeler
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
            On 01/10/2008, at 10:03 PM, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

            > I'm only half joking here. The truth of the matter really is that
            > IE6 users
            > are hampering the evolution of the web by continuing to use this
            > obsolete
            > browser, and they are wasting the time of every web developer in
            > the world,
            > who eventually has to hack together stuff to make their site work
            > properly
            > on this non-standards-compliant abomination.

            Couldn't agree more Jeffrey. If ie6 went into self-destruct mode
            tomorrow (well any time ... ) I'd be breaking out the champagne!
            Kludging validated markup to pacify or work around ie6's numerous
            bugs virtually doubles development time (and cost). It's bug-ridden
            piece of sh!t with security holes you could drive a road-train
            through, but you just can't save some people from themselves <sigh>.
            It's just a p.i.a. End of story.

            My sympathies,
            KathyW.
          • Ronald
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
              I feel your pain Jeffry ;-)
              I just started scratching the surface of css, and already having
              sleeping problems.
              Btw, I just came across http://browsershots.org/ It's a site that
              provides screenshots of your site in almost every OS/browser flavour.
              Might come in handy. It does have a daily limit though..

              Regards,
              Ronald

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...>