New Tamron 10 - 24mm Zoom Lens

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      My workhorse lens when not taking panoramas is a Tamron 11 - 18mm
      zoom. It's hardly ever off the camera. But occasionally I wish
      it was a little wider, and sometimes I find I am trimming off the
      outer areas of the image, so I could obviously use a slightly
      longer focal length, too.

      I now see that Tamron has issued a reasonably priced 10 to 24mm
      zoom (for about the same as I paid two or three years ago for
      the 11 to 18mm). Has anyone tried this or read any reports on it?
      It is also slightly faster than the 11 - 18mm, f/3.5 to f/4.5
      rather than f/4.5 to f/5.6.

      My only problem with the 11 - 18mm lens was the chromatic
      aberration near the image periphery, and the D300 now gets rid
      of most of that within the camera. It looks as if the new lens
      might be an attractive upgrade.

      The Nikon mount version is already on sale in Japan, to be
      followed shortly by Canon and Sony/Minolta versions. The lens
      has not been reviewed here, as far as I can discover.

      If I find any reviews myself I'll report to the list. I assume
      that this is on topic, because I know people who don't mind
      lots and lots of stitching use such lenses for large, megapixel
      panoramas. I just use it for non-panoramic photos.

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger