Meter Settings with Circular Fisheye Lenses

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
      I have been bracketing my individual pano shots with my new Sigma 8mm f/3.5
      lens on my Nikon D300.

      I bracket either 3x (-1, 0 and +1) or 5x (-2. -1, 0, +1 and +2) but I have
      been surprised to find that I nearly always have to choose the lowest
      exposure from the groups of three, and sometimes even from the groups of
      five. That's one or even two stops below the "normal" exposure, which has
      blown highlight in almost every case.

      This suggests I am consistently overexposing my shots. I tried the exposure
      offset control to reduce exposures by one full stop, and this gives me a
      better balance of exposures.

      Then it struck me. I only notice this bias with the new Sigma lens. Could
      it be that the averaging light-meter setting I use is averaging in all the
      dark areas around the outside of the image circle? and perhaps resulting
      in a higher exposure setting than is really necessary?

      Of course I will try switching over to center-weighted metering (with a
      rather large and diffuse center not a narrow "spot") on my next photo
      outing, but I wondered if anybody else has experienced this?

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
        Yes I suffered this at the start until I also built in the 1 stop or
        slightly more offset.

        Geoff
        Spherical Visions