My first monopod pano

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30 3:27 PM
      I made my first proper monopod pano yesterday, using a basic
      Manfrotto monopod and the 360Precision Atome rotator head (something
      I'm trying out).

      It went surprisingly well, better than I'd expected. I've always been
      a tripod kinda guy, but this did work very smoothly. Of course, it
      helps that I wasn't being crowded. :-)

      http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/des/boules.html

      The event was a boules tournament held in a tiny dead end road
      outside the Lansdowne pub in Primrose Hill, north-west London. The
      pub owner had organised it, putting sand down on the road and marking
      out lanes. People came from as far away as Marsailles in France to
      take part - it turned out to be a much bigger deal than I realised!
      (So big that, bizarrely, Princess Beatrice turned up and flung a few
      balls. But, typically, *I* didn't notice her, just her police
      minders. Doh!)

      Anyway, I had only taken the monopod and Atome head rather than the
      regular head and tripod (I was at a friend's 60th birthday event
      upstairs in the pub), so I had no choice about what I used. I shot
      six around, then unclipped the camera and shot one zenith and a
      couple for the nadir from different rotations (in case of my big
      feet). PTGui did a marvellous job, as usual, and I needed to do very
      few small tweaks in Photoshop afterwards.

      Oh, and it was a lovely day!

      There will be more posted there for my friend soon, but I thought I'd
      mention this now.

    • sphereworks
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30 3:35 PM
        Looks good !! Did you have a go?

        Pete
        www.sphereworks.co.uk

        > I made my first proper monopod pano yesterday, using a basic
        > Manfrotto monopod and the 360Precision Atome rotator head
        (something
        > I'm trying out).
        >
        > It went surprisingly well, better than I'd expected. I've always
        been
        > a tripod kinda guy, but this did work very smoothly. Of course, it
        > helps that I wasn't being crowded. :-)
        >
        > http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/des/boules.html
        >
        > The event was a boules tournament held in a tiny dead end road
        > outside the Lansdowne pub in Primrose Hill, north-west London. The
        > pub owner had organised it, putting sand down on the road and
        marking
        > out lanes. People came from as far away as Marsailles in France to
        > take part - it turned out to be a much bigger deal than I realised!
        > (So big that, bizarrely, Princess Beatrice turned up and flung a
        few
        > balls. But, typically, *I* didn't notice her, just her police
        > minders. Doh!)
        >
        > Anyway, I had only taken the monopod and Atome head rather than the
        > regular head and tripod (I was at a friend's 60th birthday event
        > upstairs in the pub), so I had no choice about what I used. I shot
        > six around, then unclipped the camera and shot one zenith and a
        > couple for the nadir from different rotations (in case of my big
        > feet). PTGui did a marvellous job, as usual, and I needed to do
        very
        > few small tweaks in Photoshop afterwards.
        >
        > Oh, and it was a lovely day!
        >
        > There will be more posted there for my friend soon, but I thought
        I'd
        > mention this now.

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
          Sometime around 30/9/08 (at 22:35 +0000) sphereworks said:

          >Looks good !! Did you have a go?

          No, 'fraid not. :-)

          The pub owner was very interested in me taking photos (seems to have
          a good eye for publicity), and he said we all (as in the birthday
          group) were welcome to join in after the tournament finals were done.
          The French contingent were so d**n good that it put us boules newbies
          right off! At least one of those guys even appeared to be sponsored
          by Ricard. And mainly it was too sociable upstairs. It was wonderful
          to watch from that balcony though.