Panotools Wiki needs your help.

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
      Hello,

      the panotools wiki at http://wiki.panotools.org has grown to a viable
      ressource of information around panorama creation. However, there are
      still many things to do.

      We need anyone who is willing to contribute or to simply test read -
      not only experts but especially newbies and casual users.

      Please don't hesitate to use the discussion pages associated with
      each article page to comment or ask if an article isn't clear or you
      think it should be different. Best would be, you do the modification
      yourself - no fears, it's a wiki!

      If you think information is difficult to find please provide ideas
      how that could be improved. Sometimes an alternative title
      ("Redirection Page" in wiki terminology) works wonders. Or is there a
      need for more lists?

      Are there ideas how to improve the general structure? Or the start
      page? Are there important topics missing? In the latter case we would
      be grateful they would simply be created.

      Articles can be marked incomplete or out of date now. You can both
      help to enhance such articles and to find ones that need enhancement.
      A list and links on how to mark articles is found on:
      http://wiki.panotools.org/Articles_that_need_enhancement

      Again: Don't hesitate to edit or add content, even if you don't know
      the wiki syntax. It's easy to format text once it's there. All
      changes are listed on http://wiki.panotools.org/Special:Recentchanges
      hence you don't need to inform me or another wiki sysop about an
      article that needs formating.

      best regards
      Offenburger Str. 33
      79108 Freiburg
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
        I have an essential comment. Allow people to modify the pages
        but require a page to be reviewed by a moderator for correctness
        before the modified page is used to replace the current page.

        I guarantee this will save a lot of grief.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
          Am Tuesday, September 30, 2008 um 10:40 schrieb Ken Warner:

          > I have an essential comment. Allow people to modify the pages
          > but require a page to be reviewed by a moderator for correctness
          > before the modified page is used to replace the current page.
          >
          > I guarantee this will save a lot of grief.

          The wiki is now four years old and we had no problems with page edits
          yet. Far from it! The problem is, that people are far too anxious
          doing edits on their own.

          Any edit can easily be reverted to any previous state. This is by
          nature of the wiki, so no fears...

          However, there are no anonymous edits possible like on wikipedia. We
          don't have enough janitors to catch bot edits (and we had some
          problems with link spam) hence we choose to allow edits only with
          valid email address. This is why you need to create an account in
          order to edit.

          best regards
          Offenburger Str. 33
          79108 Freiburg
        • Bruno Postle
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
            On Tue 30-Sep-2008 at 10:40 -0700, Ken Warner wrote:
            >I have an essential comment. Allow people to modify the pages
            >but require a page to be reviewed by a moderator for correctness
            >before the modified page is used to replace the current page.
            >
            >I guarantee this will save a lot of grief.

            No, really, historically the amount of work fixing bad edits on this
            wiki has been near zero.

            So please just change a page if it needs fixing, there is no need to
            ask for permission first. All new contributions are watched anyway,
            so abuse will get caught quickly.

            --
            Bruno
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
              I stand corrected -- like a wiki page...