Berlin Panoramas 1949 - 1952

  • Bernhard Vogl
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
      Just for your information:
      If you happen to be in Berlin between 2. Nov. 2008 bis 16. Feb. 2009 you
      may want to visit the "Berlinerische Galerie" for an exhibition of
      post-WWII panoramas:
      http://www.berlinischegalerie.de/index.php?id=631&L=0

      You can read an article (German only) and see more photos at:
      http://tinyurl.com/3ehdaw

      Best regards
      Bernhard
    • Karol Kwiatek
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
        Did anyone create modern panorama based on old panorama?
        How do you compare them?
        Is there a better method than "day/night" script from SPi-V to compare
        changes?
        How can we do panorama exactly at the same point as someone did a
        panorama in the past? Maybe approx. method (using the same points on
        buildings that still exist)?
        I am waiting for your comments.

        Karol

      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
          Quoting Karol Kwiatek <k_kwiatek@...>:

          > Did anyone create modern panorama based on old panorama?
          > How do you compare them?
          > Is there a better method than "day/night" script from SPi-V to compare
          > changes?
          > How can we do panorama exactly at the same point as someone did a
          > panorama in the past? Maybe approx. method (using the same points on
          > buildings that still exist)?
          > I am waiting for your comments.

          probably you could measure some distances between buildings and try to work
          out some triganometry method to find the location using a map, sines and stuff
          cheers

          mick

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
            Am Tuesday, September 30, 2008 um 11:36 schrieb Karol Kwiatek:

            > Did anyone create modern panorama based on old panorama?

            I know of a project with "normal" shots from places where ancient
            postcards where shot - in the alps with the goal to document retreat
            of glaciers. And there was a photo project in britain by a Andy
            Savage: http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/thenandnow/index.htm

            > How do you compare them?
            > Is there a better method than "day/night" script from SPi-V to compare
            > changes?

            SPi-V had a split-frame technology as well which I found very good.

            > How can we do panorama exactly at the same point as someone did a
            > panorama in the past? Maybe approx. method (using the same points on
            > buildings that still exist)?

            The glacier project did it simply by eye. Walking around and trying
            until the perspective is the same. However, ther must be some means
            of triangulation to ease that task. But I think the crux is that many
            buildings have been modified since...

            best regards
            Offenburger Str. 33
            79108 Freiburg
          • Caroling Geary
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
              There was a thread on the quicktime-vr list in 2000, after someone
              discovered a project in a US Library of Congress national archive of
              panoramas. There is a link to the archive on the following page. A
              few people found panoramas in their area and did 360s. I found one. I
              had taken my photos with point and shoot, 8 around, before I knew
              anything about VR. The original panorama was not 360, so I filled in
              the outline. A sprite controls the synced panos. I'm surprised that
              it still works.

              http://www.wholeo.net/Trips/Art/Web/TripsArt/Imagine/RitualSpaces/
              GaiaPoint/return/reTurnInSync.htm

              Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net