Happy with Sigma 8mm f/3.5

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      I received a lot of helpful advice from list members recently when I
      asked about various fisheye lenses. I was concerned to reduce both the
      number of stitches and the amount of post processing required, and
      also (if possible) handle crowd scenes better than I could with the
      "six around + one up and one down" that I had been taking with a
      10.5mm Nikon full-frame fisheye, a tripod, and a Nodal Ninja head.

      After reading this advice I purchased a Sigma 8mm f/3.5 circular
      fisheye lens and have just finished processing the first few panoramas.
      The improvement in build quality since I first encountered Sigma lenses
      forty years ago when I arrived in Japan is truly remarkable.

      I am very pleased with this lens. I have not found it difficult to go
      over to hand-held/monopod shooting, and I ventured into some pretty
      crowded scenes, finding that PTgui greatly reduced the amount of post
      processing I needed to do to eliminate partial bodies, third legs,
      and slightly displaced doppelgangers, etc.

      I am still clawing my way up the learning curve, but wanted to say how
      grateful I am for all the informed advice I got. The new Sigma lens,
      with my new D300, are already producing panoramas with far quicker
      turnaround times than I could manage before, and the results look at
      least as good as I was getting with the Nikon 10.5mm lens, unless you
      look very closely at high degrees of magnification. It is clear that
      the Nikon has a slight edge in image quality, but there's not a great
      deal it it, and the quality I am getting is more than good enough
      for my application (websites introducing beauty spots and other
      tourist attractions).

      Just thought I'd write this for the record. What a great resource we
      have here in this list and its helpful members!

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger