As a last answer on PTNG

  • beeloba
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2008
      I've noticed that the size of "emails" seems to be a major issue.
      Why such a problem can become a real issue?

      All recent forums are linked to RSS feed… It means that it's a 'pull'
      info system… No Mails with pictures are included.
      Panotools NG had a crucial issue with an old member ...
      What else, we 'new' users are not responsible with that conflict…

      All recent forums do not send mails with picture in it but just links
      reminding what posts we were interested in…

      Why don't you think of a new way to make from the mailing list, a real
      forum !!!
      This need i guess an admin (maybe elected) but someone who take the
      responsibility of what is sent… Moderators can be helpful but needs to
      have a very high power on deleting poor or offf topic questions
      This is just a small part of a proposition…

      Link is open to all of you…
      Please feel free to say what you want, even if it is crazy :)
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 26, 2008
        Beeloba
        Forums are NOT the same thing as a LIST men

        Pls here is a LIST
        this is not a FORUM.
        Point.

        get it ????

        I think you don't need to insist on something that has nothing to do with
        the real world.

        If you like FORUMS so much, go to one and be happy.
        But you still can enjoy this LIST as it is and be happy (or not) ;-)

        best
        AYRTON

        On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 7:56 PM, beeloba <beeloba@...> wrote:

        > I've noticed that the size of "emails" seems to be a major issue.
        > Why such a problem can become a real issue?
        >
        > All recent forums are linked to RSS feed… It means that it's a 'pull'
        > info system… No Mails with pictures are included.
        > Panotools NG had a crucial issue with an old member ...
        > What else, we 'new' users are not responsible with that conflict…
        >
        > All recent forums do not send mails with picture in it but just links
        > reminding what posts we were interested in…
        >
        > Why don't you think of a new way to make from the mailing list, a real
        > forum !!!
        > This need i guess an admin (maybe elected) but someone who take the
        > responsibility of what is sent… Moderators can be helpful but needs to
        > have a very high power on deleting poor or offf topic questions
        > This is just a small part of a proposition…
        >
        > Link is open to all of you…
        > Please feel free to say what you want, even if it is crazy :)

        ------------
        | A Y R |
        | T O N |
        ------------

        + 55 21 9982 6313

        http://ayrton360.com
        http://rio.360cities.net
        http://vrfolio.com
        http://ayrton.com

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 26, 2008
          Sometime around 26/9/08 (at 22:56 +0000) beeloba said:

          >All recent forums do not send mails with picture in it but just links
          >reminding what posts we were interested in

          I'm afraid I live and die by email. There are numerous web forums
          that are all about things I am intensely interested in, but I simply
          don't have the brain space to remember to do it, and I really don't
          like interacting using web forms either.

          I'm afraid it is email interaction or nothing for me. I've tried this
          more than enough times to know that this is basic fact, not any kind
          of posturing.

          As Ayrton pointed out, there are major differences between forums and
          mailing lists. Web forums make it easy for casual visitors to find
          info and perhaps dash in with a question - but they don't encourage
          long-term participation.

          It is interesting that Yahoo groups provide something similar to
          crude web forums, but it is still rooted in email.

          (I know someone who wrote a rather good forum-like mailing list
          engine that gives a very clever forum look 'n' feel for web visitors
          but is actually really a true email mailing list. But before anyone
          asks, I'm afraid that's not available for re-use.)

        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 26, 2008
            On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

            > I'm afraid I live and die by email. There are numerous web forums
            > that are all about things I am intensely interested in, but I simply
            > don't have the brain space to remember to do it, and I really don't
            > like interacting using web forms either.

            SAME here !
            My brain just can not work in a FORUM space :-)
            I love LISTs because , for me, it is easy to follow up everyday.

            AYRTON

            > I'm afraid it is email interaction or nothing for me. I've tried this
            > more than enough times to know that this is basic fact, not any kind
            > of posturing.
            >
            > As Ayrton pointed out, there are major differences between forums and
            > mailing lists. Web forums make it easy for casual visitors to find
            > info and perhaps dash in with a question - but they don't encourage
            > long-term participation.
            >
            > It is interesting that Yahoo groups provide something similar to
            > crude web forums, but it is still rooted in email.
            >
            > (I know someone who wrote a rather good forum-like mailing list
            > engine that gives a very clever forum look 'n' feel for web visitors
            > but is actually really a true email mailing list. But before anyone
            > asks, I'm afraid that's not available for re-use.)

            ------------
            | A Y R |
            | T O N |
            ------------

            + 55 21 9982 6313

            http://ayrton360.com
            http://rio.360cities.net
            http://vrfolio.com
            http://ayrton.com

          • Kathy Wheeler
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 26, 2008
              Hi beeloba.

              On 27/09/2008, at 8:56 AM, beeloba wrote:
              > Why don't you think of a new way to make from the mailing list, a real
              > forum !!!

              The subject of forums is not new. The suggestion has been made
              before, more than once, and been rejected every time. There are
              however many pano forums "out there" for those who prefer that
              format, or who like to access both.

              Personally I find I generally do not have the time to browse forums,
              but I *have* to make time to deal with my email. This way I can keep
              up with what's happening and new developments, whether I want to or
              not ;-)

              On the subject of image (attachments) Caroling quite rightly pointed
              out the "Files" and "Photos" areas of our Yahoo Group site:
              and
              http://tech.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/photos

              If you do not have your own web space anywhere to post your images
              (or files) then these areas are available. Simply upload the file and
              include a link to it in your post. That way you save on bandwidth for
              everyone - there are still many parts of the world where access is
              slow, or bandwidth limited, or expensive (or all 3!), not to mention
              people checking email via their mobile phones or other numerous
              gadgets ...

              Cheers,
              KathyW.
            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 27, 2008
                Quoting Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...>:

                > That way you save on bandwidth for
                > everyone - there are still many parts of the world where access is
                > slow, or bandwidth limited, or expensive (or all 3!), not to mention
                > people checking email via their mobile phones or other numerous
                > gadgets ...

                Yeah man, think of the planet. How many nuclear power stations does it take to
                power the internet. All those attachements flying about must mean more work
                for the little processor thingys.

                peace

                mick

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 27, 2008
                  Hello all,

                  please read the whole message!

                  As pointed out several times before discussions about the list itself
                  are off topic here. There is a special list for this kind of topics.
                  Your discussion and your opinions are welcome there:

                  The reason is that this same discussion arises every now and then.
                  And for the newbies: There was one occasion when this list actually
                  crashed because of such discussions. This is why the other list was
                  set up, to keep PanotoolsNG free of such topics and nevertheless
                  provide a democratic possibility to discuss the list's fate and
                  destiny.

                  Again: The point is not to supress discussions about how this list
                  should be run or whether it should be transformed into a forum or
                  whatever. In fact I'm very happy that there are new users who are
                  concerned about the list. These discussions are welcome, new ideas
                  are necessary. But this discussions are to be take place on Panotools-
                  List

                  However, beeloba's concerns are valid and I'll answer them below as
                  an information to all new users who don't know all the possibilitis
                  this list offers.

                  This message is crossposted to Panotools-List and can be used as a
                  starting point there.

                  On Friday, September 26, 2008 at 22:56, beeloba wrote:

                  > I've noticed that the size of "emails" seems to be a major issue.
                  > Why such a problem can become a real issue?
                  >
                  > All recent forums are linked to RSS feed¦ It means that it's a 'pull'
                  > info system¦ No Mails with pictures are included.

                  Yes, there is a RSS feed and every member is free to use it. Just
                  click the feed button on
                  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/ or go directly to
                  For more possibilites see below.

                  > Panotools NG had a crucial issue with an old member ...
                  > What else, we 'new' users are not responsible with that conflict¦

                  Only to true. The conflict is finished, this special old member has
                  ceased to tickle PanotoolsNG with his false claims and accusations
                  and he has stopped his copyright violation of the wiki.

                  I don't know how the other owners feel, but I got the impression that
                  like me they all are a bit tired of fighting those "Panotools War"
                  and have little energy left to enhance the list. Could be some rules
                  need to be reworked, and there need to be fresh ideas. To be
                  discussed on Panotools-List.

                  > All recent forums do not send mails with picture in it but just links
                  > reminding what posts we were interested in¦
                  >
                  > Why don't you think of a new way to make from the mailing list, a real
                  > forum !!!

                  We where through this a couple of times (which doesn't mean that
                  there is no need to discuss it again). But we established a number of
                  possibilities to satisfy the more webforum-liking members:

                  - The list is mirrored on nabble which provides a forum-like surface:
                  http://www.nabble.com/PanoToolsNG-f15658.html
                  Perhaps we should consider to move to nabble2, which is a bit more
                  modern.

                  - There is a NNTP newsfeed to be read with any NNTP newsreader on
                  nntp://news.panotools.org You'll find a tutorial about how to use and
                  configure thunderbird for this purpose on
                  http://wiki.panotools.org/PanoTools:Newsreader

                  NNTP feed is IMHO the best possibility to read the list. The server
                  hosts the complete archive (good for searching). The view is
                  threaded, such that you can easily pick interesting threads. You can
                  highlight your own threads and many more possibilities that are
                  specific to the particular newsreader.

                  - There is the RSS feed mentioned above.

                  - In addition there is the mailing list archive on
                  http://www.panotools.org/ which not only contains the mails from
                  PanotoolsNG but from the previous Panotools list and the first
                  original list [proj-imim] as well.

                  - The panotools.org server runs the drupal CMS with all it's
                  possibilities like blogs, galleries and so on. Currently this is
                  scarcely used. It would need someone to explore and maintain it.

                  - The wiki offers some possibilities which are scarcely used as well.

                  > This is just a small part of a proposition
                  >
                  > Link is open to all of you¦
                  > Please feel free to say what you want, even if it is crazy :)

                  Yes, please feel free. But please move this discussion over to
                  panotools-list.

                  best regards
                  PanotoolsNG and Panotools-List moderator
                  Panotools wiki sysop
                • Jim Watters
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 27, 2008
                    Keith Martin wrote:
                    > I'm afraid I live and die by email. There are numerous web forums
                    > that are all about things I am intensely interested in, but I simply
                    > don't have the brain space to remember to do it, and I really don't
                    > like interacting using web forms either.
                    >
                    > I'm afraid it is email interaction or nothing for me. I've tried this
                    > more than enough times to know that this is basic fact, not any kind
                    > of posturing.

                    +1

                    --
                    Jim Watters

                    Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
                    jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                    http://photocreations.ca
                  • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
                      Hi Beeloba,

                      I'm glad you are passionate!
                      It is passionate people that are able to drive change, when it is needed.
                      Though if you want to pursue this further, you will 'need' to continue this
                      in the Panotools-List group where this can be discussed and refined, then a
                      vote can be put out to the Panotools group.

                      Cheers,
                      Darren.

                      )