handheld panos

  • Inaki Rezola
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2008
      Bona nit Jaume

      You know I've shot enormously handheld, all my italian panos but one (almost 300) -and many other ones on my site- were made that way, take a look at

      www.panoleku.com/italia.html

      You can't expect results to be as perfect as if you were shooting according to 'all the rules of the art', but there are certain situations where you just have to decide whether you shoot or not, as it so often happens to me when I am touring around with my students. As Ayrton pointed out there may be many different difficult situations, people moving around, rain, wind, extremely poor lighting and so on. Results may be poor sometimes, of course. Just dare to.

      On my Italian panos homepage I explain the setup I used in each one of the 3 trips. 6 around + 2 when using Sigma 8 -some of the 2007 ones-
      8 around + 2 when using the 10,5 -the 2005 and 2008 ones- . I did not use fullframe cameras so Steve's excellent suggestion could not be used as-is when using the 10,5. I shot the 2005 ones at eye level -quite a lot of work- and the 2007-2008 either handheld-overhead or by holding a small monopod high in the air so as the result might look like it was a short-pole shot -not as difficult, but considerably more time consuming than a tripod+ etc etc etc shots.

      I don't have any movies to show you how I shot (unlike my students!) , but you can come here to San Sebastian any other week end so as we can meet and talk panos!

      Best
      Inaki