New Stitcher from Microsoft: ICE

  • jo4mail
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 23, 2008
      22 September
      Announcing the Microsoft Image Composite Editor

      Today we are very pleased to announce the Microsoft Image Composite
      Editor. It is a free download available today from here. This
      application is the best image stitching tool that we have shipped to
      date. The stitching technology from the Interactive Visual Media
      Group has shipped previously in Windows Live Photo Gallery and more
      recently in Deep Zoom Composer. The core stitching engine in the
      Image Composite Editor uses the same advanced matching and blending
      techniques that I described in my Deep Zoom Composer blog entry.
      Beyond that this application adds the following features:

      * A GPU accelerated orientation adjustment tool. Sometimes the
      automatic stitching software doesn't quite get the viewing direction
      correct, or perhaps you want to use a rectilinear projection instead
      of a cylindrical projection. This new tool allows you to
      interactively make these adjustments.
      * 360 blending support. Our fast poisson blend technique now
      creates a seamless 360 blend.
      * Output to Photoshop layers.
      * Create an HD View web page.
      * Create a Silverlight Deep Zoom web page, including new 360
      support in our Silverlight application.
      * Integration with both the Windows Shell and the next version of
      Windows Live Photo Gallery, so that you can quickly launch a new
      stitching project.

      Please try it out today, and let us know what you think.

      -Matt Uyttendaele

      P.S. We will be giving demos at the Photokina show all week. If you
      happen to be attending, please stop by the Microsoft booth to see this
      and a lot of other great technology.

      Link:
      http://hdview.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=amonth%3d9%26ayear%3d2008
    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 23, 2008
        Quoting jo4mail <jo4mail@...>:

        > 22 September
        > Announcing the Microsoft Image Composite Editor

        as somebody said,
        they never saw anything in microsoft they didn't see somewhere else first.

        regards

        mick

      • Bernhard Vogl
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 23, 2008
          There are some interesting features hidden in the software - worth to
          mention:
          http://thepanoramablog.blogspot.com/2008/09/microsoft-ice-stitcher-from-microsoft.html

          Especially interesting for this list:

          * direct output to HDView and Deep Zoom tiles, so you can stitch
          high resolution panoramas without having to care about file sizes.
          * Planar stitching modes:
          - mode 1: assemble images without warping. Useful for assembling a
          large image from scanned parts, e.g. a large map.
          - mode 2: rotate, skew and resize images to fit. Useful if you
          stitch a panorama where the single images are captures from
          different positions
          - mode 3: stitch large horizontal scenes ("wall panoramas")

          Best regards
          Bernhard
        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 23, 2008
            It's MS's innovative interpretation of innovation ...

            crane@... wrote:
            > Quoting jo4mail <jo4mail@...>:
            >

            >>22 September
            >>Announcing the Microsoft Image Composite Editor
            >

            > as somebody said,
            > they never saw anything in microsoft they didn't see somewhere else first.
            >
            > regards
            >
            > mick

          • Fernando Costa Pinto
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 24, 2008
              Hi there ,

              Beware ....MS is a highly pathogenic mule ...stay at large...
              Even more dangerous for MC users.
              Use extremely high precaution

              On 9/23/08, jo4mail <jo4mail@...> wrote:

              > 22 September
              > Announcing the Microsoft Image Composite Editor
              >
              > Today we are very pleased to announce the Microsoft Image Composite
              > Editor. It is a free download available today from here. This
              > application is the best image stitching tool that we have shipped to
              > date. The stitching technology from the Interactive Visual Media
              > Group has shipped previously in Windows Live Photo Gallery and more
              > recently in Deep Zoom Composer. The core stitching engine in the
              > Image Composite Editor uses the same advanced matching and blending
              > techniques that I described in my Deep Zoom Composer blog entry.
              > Beyond that this application adds the following features:
              >
              > * A GPU accelerated orientation adjustment tool. Sometimes the
              > automatic stitching software doesn't quite get the viewing direction
              > correct, or perhaps you want to use a rectilinear projection instead
              > of a cylindrical projection. This new tool allows you to
              > interactively make these adjustments.
              > * 360 blending support. Our fast poisson blend technique now
              > creates a seamless 360 blend.
              > * Output to Photoshop layers.
              > * Create an HD View web page.
              > * Create a Silverlight Deep Zoom web page, including new 360
              > support in our Silverlight application.
              > * Integration with both the Windows Shell and the next version of
              > Windows Live Photo Gallery, so that you can quickly launch a new
              > stitching project.
              >
              > Please try it out today, and let us know what you think.
              >
              > -Matt Uyttendaele
              >
              > P.S. We will be giving demos at the Photokina show all week. If you
              > happen to be attending, please stop by the Microsoft booth to see this
              > and a lot of other great technology.
              >
              > Link:
              >
              > http://hdview.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=amonth%3d9%26ayear%3d2008

            • Roger Howard
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
                I won't comment on the politics of using Microsoft products... but however
                you feel about MS, I think we should always be open to at least learning
                what works (and what doesn't) from other products. ICE is fast, has so far
                been very accurate in stitching for me, and is about as straightforward
                and uncluttered as it could be. I got results instantly; the hardware
                accelerated viewing/alignment tool works great; it basically "just worked"
                as I expected it to; and it's free.

                Again, not interested in debating it's parent companies business
                practices; just looking at it as a product.
              • Jim Watters
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
                  I tried it on a large partial pano with a 300mm lens.
                  Yes It was fast. Yes it blended the images together nicely and removed
                  light falloff.
                  But it failed to successfully add all images that made up the sky and
                  just left holes and offered no way to manually add those images it
                  missed. I found it a little too simple.

                  It just happened to be the project I was working on at the time. I did
                  not bother testing with other lenses.

                  --
                  Jim Watters

                  jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                  http://photocreations.ca

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
                    On Fri, October 3, 2008 10:45 am, Jim Watters wrote:
                    > I tried it on a large partial pano with a 300mm lens.
                    > Yes It was fast. Yes it blended the images together nicely and removed
                    > light falloff.
                    > But it failed to successfully add all images that made up the sky and
                    > just left holes and offered no way to manually add those images it
                    > missed. I found it a little too simple.

                    I haven't tried it on anything that had wide open skies... I did have a
                    set of low-rez screenshots from a game (I work in a gaming company now)
                    which couldn't be fully stitched by PTGUI's control point generator
                    (specifically, images of a ground surface without much detail other than
                    typical ground textures), but which ICE handled fine.

                    Anyhow, I love seeing the state of the art advancing - it's great to see
                    research coming out of big companies again, since Apple appears to be
                    completely disinterested in VR (and generally, in far-reaching R&D which
                    they once invested lots in). Even if we don't use the products, ultimately
                    just the infusion of new ideas, demonstrations of neat concepts, are good
                    for everyone.