Re: How to calculate the possible size of a panorma?

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2006
      On Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 16:48, Erik Krause wrote:

      > But the image circle radius for the linear mapping would be 12.6mm
      > (considered 8mm focal length) instead of 11.3 like we take it as
      > given. Hence we must adjust the focal length in the formula to fit
      > those facts - it would result to 7.2mm.
      >
      > Now calculating again we find 40° for the 5mm radius and 50° for the
      > 6.3mm radius - which is obviously 40° from the border. However, there
      > is a difference in the middle radii of about 9%. (f.e. the 5.5mm
      > radius is mapped from 43.8° with linear mapping and from 40.2° with
      > sine mapping). I guess this was what Helmut Dersh meant when he wrote
      > "you won't see a big difference between the two"...

      My apologies - this is not right. What I wrote here says that for a
      linear mapping the mapping is linear - this is circular reasoning.

      I was carried away by the fancy diagrams I made to get it sorted out.
      Yes, you get a higher resolution if you take the inner circle only.
      However, you won't get only 80% of that resolution if you take the
      full image circle (this would be the case if you use the outer parts
      of the image *only*). You get about 90%...

      Please accept my apologies...

      best regards
      http://www.erik-krause.de/