Re: [PanoToolsNG] Dynamic JavaVRs?

  • Mark Banas (lists)
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
      On Jul 10, 2006, at 10:35 PM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

      > On 11/07/2006, at 12:05 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
      >> I guess what I should look for is the easiest to configure applet to
      >> read the image from the page and simply display it.
      >
      > No, really, you don't want to do that, seriously.
      >
      > Your page contains thumbnails - nice, small files, fast to load. They
      > can each be a link that will call a page (same one if you want) that
      > will bring up the (java) pano in it's own window or in the base page,
      > downloading the full sized image only when (or if) it's needed. All
      > you need to do is pass your PHP script a variable that will identify
      > the image you want to display, and have a function or routine to
      > handle it in the script. Pretty simple stuff.

      Heh, "simple" for you perhaps! 8-}

      I am thinking that each pano would be linked from an image-specific
      page like this one:
      http://www.mab3d.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=40
      not necc. from the thumbnails page, but that is academic.

      I guess my thinking (correct me if I'm wrong here) is that since the
      image has already been loaded on the page at an acceptable resolution
      (1000x500) then it would be a matter of referencing that same image
      in the the source of the Java VR. In other words the PHP for the new
      window with the pano would build off of whatever the Gallery page
      defined as the source of the main image, which in this case is this
      cryptic bit of code going back to the database:
      img src="main.php?
      g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16&g2_serialNumber=2"

      IIRC: I think this is done to prevent wholesale image theft, and to
      allow high-res images to be uploaded and resampled for various views
      automatically, but these images are actually JPEG-HDR, so they are
      not resampled at all (or they would lose the 32-bit depth) but their
      location is known only in the database entries.

      What I think you are saying is that I need to look at the PHP for the
      Gallery display pages and figure out how it goes from thumbnail to
      main image and defines that img src, and then to do the same in my
      panoviewer PHP. Correct? Does it matter that at the time the
      panoviewer page is called the previous page already has the correct
      database entry in the generated page it is linked from?

      Sorry if this is all "way basic PHP" for you, but I'm trying to
      shoehorn a feature into a gallery setup that already meets 90% of my
      needs.

      -Mark
    • Mark Banas (lists)
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
        On Jul 10, 2006, at 11:37 PM, yuval_levy wrote:

        > When you write about an an <quote> easier to understand "visual
        > format" for non-pano folk (as opposed to an equirect) </quote> do you
        > mean for the thumbnail or for the image as a whole? and do you want
        > the image to be interactive, i.e. the user to click and drag inside
        > like a VR, or do you want to show a transformed version of the
        > equirect, flat on the page?

        Hi Yuv,

        Image as a whole, click-and-drag JavaVR. I'd prefer JavaVR (whatever
        type) mainly because my images are already equirectangulars and would
        work as a source - and because Java has a much greater installed base
        than Shockwave (for Spi-V).

        > The basic dynamic page will just have the tags for the VR technology
        > and will replace the file at the appropriate place. You can see such
        > an example at
        > <http://www.items.ch/panoramas/panorama.asp?filenum=298> (PT 185kB)
        > <http://www.items.ch/panoramas/panorama.asp?filenum=300> (QT 684kB)

        While I am sure the delice was just that, the above links are pretty
        much what I want to avoid: no pano ever displayed from either link.
        I think panoserve.atoms.ch wasn't responding fast enough (or at all)...

        As Kathy and Sacha have alluded to, this is probably dead simple if I
        know what I'm doing. Problem is that I'm starting out with a pretty
        fully-developed gallery system and image manager, but trying to stick
        this onto it. Might be better for me to start asking questions of the
        kind folks who developed the gallery in the first place. If only
        their VR viewer actually *worked* I wouldn't have to consider this! I
        might not even pursue it in the end, if only because it could be such
        a waste of time for what amounts to meeting a need I don't know if I
        have. I mean, these aren't real estate images - these are simply
        panoramic HDR images!

        BTW, now that some of you have actually loaded the "high-res"
        equirectangular image onto your screen - congratulations, you have
        been served one of the few truly High Dynamic Range Images viewable
        on the internet! In other words, your browser thought that was a
        tonemapped JPEG, but the image itself contains the 32-bit luminance
        data just waiting for you to copy it to your desktop and open it with
        Photosphere or something else that reads JPEG-HDR files.

        In the very near future, those of us with HDR monitors won't see the
        tonemapped version, but rather a luminously glowing image surrounded
        by the otherwise flat, grey interface of a naive browser. Pretty cool
        once you think about it...

        -Mark
      • Kathy Wheeler
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
          On 11/07/2006, at 2:18 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
          > I guess my thinking (correct me if I'm wrong here) is that since the
          > image has already been loaded on the page at an acceptable resolution
          > (1000x500) then it would be a matter of referencing that same image
          > in the the source of the Java VR. In other words the PHP for the new
          > window with the pano would build off of whatever the Gallery page
          > defined as the source of the main image, which in this case is this
          > cryptic bit of code going back to the database:
          > img src="main.php?
          > g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16&g2_serialNumber=2"

          I just did a right click "View Image" on that img and it certainly
          came up too fast to be coming from anywhere other than the browser
          cache so in theory it should work fine. The only thing I am a little
          uncertain of is how the java viewers interface with the browser/
          server. IF they simply call for the image as (in this case) "main.php?
          g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16&g2_serialNumber=2"
          then it should work. Certainly worth a try.

          > What I think you are saying is that I need to look at the PHP for the
          > Gallery display pages and figure out how it goes from thumbnail to
          > main image and defines that img src, and then to do the same in my
          > panoviewer PHP. Correct?

          Yes.

          > Does it matter that at the time the
          > panoviewer page is called the previous page already has the correct
          > database entry in the generated page it is linked from?

          Shouldn't do. The index for that image should not change. I haven't
          looked at the PHP for Gallery2 to be certain, but it's certainly
          worth a try. If you need any help feel free to contact me off-list so
          we don't bore the good people here with technical coding, just the
          announcement when you get it working ;-)

          Cheers,
          KathyW.
        • Kathy Wheeler
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 10, 2006
            On 11/07/2006, at 2:45 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
            > In the very near future, those of us with HDR monitors won't see the
            > tonemapped version, but rather a luminously glowing image surrounded
            > by the otherwise flat, grey interface of a naive browser. Pretty cool
            > once you think about it...

            Where do I get me one of those monitors and can I afford it (think I
            know the answer to the last bit :-(

            KathyW.
          • Mark Banas (lists)
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
              On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:23 AM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

              > On 11/07/2006, at 2:45 PM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:
              >> In the very near future, those of us with HDR monitors won't see the
              >> tonemapped version, but rather a luminously glowing image surrounded
              >> by the otherwise flat, grey interface of a naive browser. Pretty cool
              >> once you think about it...
              >
              > Where do I get me one of those monitors and can I afford it (think I
              > know the answer to the last bit :-(

              http://www.brightsidetech.com/

              And, um, right now they are around $50,000 USD and mostly handmade -
              but that is 40% off of their original price! ;-)

              As the larger companies, with better manufacturing abilities, get
              involved and license the technology the price will likely fall.
              However, just as with cameras and computers, the really innovative
              stuff will be delayed to maximize the profit of existing tech. I
              heard about this technology in 2002, and now 4 years later it can be
              "purchased." Maybe in another 4 years it can be "afforded?"
            • Mark Banas (lists)
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
                On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:16 AM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

                >> Does it matter that at the time the
                >> panoviewer page is called the previous page already has the correct
                >> database entry in the generated page it is linked from?
                >
                > Shouldn't do. The index for that image should not change. I haven't
                > looked at the PHP for Gallery2 to be certain, but it's certainly
                > worth a try. If you need any help feel free to contact me off-list so
                > we don't bore the good people here with technical coding, just the
                > announcement when you get it working ;-)

                Thanks, Kathy. I will poke around and ask the Gallery2 folks what
                they recommend first, as well as refresh my grey cells with some
                details of PHP coding. I was thinking the hardest part would be
                setting up the java applet to display the image, but it seems just
                *getting* the proper image will be the real struggle for me. (After
                about an hour last night I understood the Immervision applet and XML
                methods - very nice!)

                And thanks to Sacha and Yuval's wonderful examples I can see that the
                end product is quite feasible and workable! I've seen all this
                discussed before, but never had a real need to explore it or learn it.

                -Mark
              • bernharv2000
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 11, 2006
                  Hello Mark,

                  I use PHP to create some Spi-V content on the fly.

                  If i understand your simple need to insert a filename into plugin code
                  correctly, a code snippet for Java content could look like this:

                  // Get Filename of JPEG-File
                  $file = (array_key_exists("file", $_GET)) ? $_GET["file"] : "";
                  [...]
                  // Generate HTML Page
                  ?>
                  [...]
                  <param name="file" value="<? echo $file ?>">
                  [...]

                  The call of the dynamic HTML would be something like:
                  http://www.mab3d.com/gallery/viewer.php?file=panorama.jpg

                  Best regards
                  Bernhard
                • vtourdk
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 12, 2006
                    Have a look at "Simpleview" - an automated PHP/PTviewer based previewer
                    I made some years ago. I might not be exactly what you want, but it can
                    give you some idea on how to use PHP for this kind of tasks.

                    http://www.in2.dk/pttours/ <http://www.in2.dk/pttours/>

                    best regards

                    Flemming