canon eos 50d

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
      "When Canon answered the rumor calls with its official unveiling of the
      15.1-megapixel EOS
      50D<http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/26/official-canons-15-1-megapixel-eos-50d-with-digic-4-processing/>,
      it failed to nail down an exact release date. Thankfully, Circuit City has
      informed us that "October" really means "October 6th," and the beastly DSLR
      is up for pre-order right now for $1,399.99 (body only) / $1,599.99 (kit
      with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens). Just over a fortnight to wait
      -- surely you can twiddle your thumbs until then, yeah?"
      http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/393465483/

      :-) anyone care to calculate the size of a 8mm sigma pano using this
      monster?

      I wonder when we'll reach the resolution limit of the 8mm lens....

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...> wrote:

        > "When Canon answered the rumor calls with its official unveiling of the
        > 15.1-megapixel EOS
        > 50D<http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/26/official-canons-15-1-megapixel-eos-
        50d-with-digic-4-processing/>,
        > it failed to nail down an exact release date. Thankfully, Circuit City has
        > informed us that "October" really means "October 6th," and the beastly DSLR
        > is up for pre-order right now for $1,399.99 (body only) / $1,599.99 (kit
        > with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens). Just over a fortnight to wait
        > -- surely you can twiddle your thumbs until then, yeah?"
        > http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/393465483/
        >

        > :-) anyone care to calculate the size of a 8mm sigma pano using this
        > monster?
        >
        > I wonder when we'll reach the resolution limit of the 8mm lens....

        That happened long ago.
        If you are serious about real resolution 10mp gives the max for most lenses on an APS
        sensor.

        http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/resolution.shtml
        http://www.diax.nl/pages/Lens_res_uk.html

        Hans
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@> wrote:
          > >
          > > "When Canon answered the rumor calls with its official unveiling of the
          > > 15.1-megapixel EOS
          > > 50D<http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/26/official-canons-15-1-megapixel-
          eos-
          > 50d-with-digic-4-processing/>,
          > > it failed to nail down an exact release date. Thankfully, Circuit City has
          > > informed us that "October" really means "October 6th," and the beastly DSLR
          > > is up for pre-order right now for $1,399.99 (body only) / $1,599.99 (kit
          > > with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens). Just over a fortnight to wait
          > > -- surely you can twiddle your thumbs until then, yeah?"
          > > http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/393465483/
          > >

          > > :-) anyone care to calculate the size of a 8mm sigma pano using this
          > > monster?
          > >
          > > I wonder when we'll reach the resolution limit of the 8mm lens....
          >
          > That happened long ago.
          > If you are serious about real resolution 10mp gives the max for most lenses on an APS
          > sensor.
          >
          > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/resolution.shtml
          > http://www.diax.nl/pages/Lens_res_uk.html

          This might be what you need.
          http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/03/zeiss-reports-highest-ever-
          lens.html

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
            On Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 17:06, Hans Nyberg wrote:

            > > I wonder when we'll reach the resolution limit of the 8mm lens....
            >
            > That happened long ago.
            > If you are serious about real resolution 10mp gives the max for most lenses on an APS
            > sensor.

            That is the same absolute resolution as 22.5mp for full frame. Only
            the Canon 1Ds Mk III comes near. But an 8mm lens on FF certainly is
            only for special needs...

            best regards
          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
              wrote:

              > is up for pre-order right now for $1,399.99 (body only)

              Or, for some unfathomable reason, the equivalent of $2090 in the UK
              (1170 UKP). No doubt we're not comparing like with like, taxes-wise,
              but 50% more?

              John
            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008

                I wonder if UK immigration will see a surge in US photographers coming over
                with several 50D bodies, but going home without any...

                :o)

                Mark
              • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
                  Also, Canon are expected to release the successor to the 5D any day now,
                  according to the rumours it will be 21 or 24 megapixel full frame. Try
                  that with a 15mm fisheye..

                  Joost

                  Jeffrey Martin wrote:
                  > "When Canon answered the rumor calls with its official unveiling of the
                  > 15.1-megapixel EOS
                  > 50D<http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/26/official-canons-15-1-megapixel-eos-50d-with-digic-4-processing/>,
                  > it failed to nail down an exact release date. Thankfully, Circuit City has
                  > informed us that "October" really means "October 6th," and the beastly DSLR
                  > is up for pre-order right now for $1,399.99 (body only) / $1,599.99 (kit
                  > with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens). Just over a fortnight to wait
                  > -- surely you can twiddle your thumbs until then, yeah?"
                  > http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/393465483/
                  >

                  > :-) anyone care to calculate the size of a 8mm sigma pano using this
                  > monster?
                  >
                  > I wonder when we'll reach the resolution limit of the 8mm lens....
                • erik leeman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joost Nieuwenhuijse <imim@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Also, Canon are expected to release the successor to the 5D any day
                    now,
                    > according to the rumours it will be 21 or 24 megapixel full frame.
                    Try
                    > that with a 15mm fisheye..
                    >
                    > Joost

                    YESSSS, I will!!! as soon as I can afford it that is....

                    Erik Leeman
                  • Matthew Rogers
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 16, 2008
                      I can tell you one thing though, the reseller mark-up on the 50D
                      compared to every other DSLR on the market is HUGE, and I mean HUGE.
                      Normally you're lucky to make 5% but Canon seem to be setting the UK
                      retail price incredibly high. I guess they're doing this help make
                      resellers push the 50D onto consumers.

                      We don't normally sell cameras but if anyone on list wants a 50D then
                      let me know as we can get them MUCH cheaper than retail.

                      Matt

                      On 16 Sep 2008, at 20:15, John Houghton wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > is up for pre-order right now for $1,399.99 (body only)
                      >
                      > Or, for some unfathomable reason, the equivalent of $2090 in the UK
                      > (1170 UKP). No doubt we're not comparing like with like, taxes-wise,
                      > but 50% more?
                      >
                      > John

                    • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 17, 2008
                        It was announced this morning:
                        http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091705canon_5dmarkII.asp

                        Joost Nieuwenhuijse wrote:
                        > Also, Canon are expected to release the successor to the 5D any day now,
                        > according to the rumours it will be 21 or 24 megapixel full frame. Try
                        > that with a 15mm fisheye..
                        >
                        > Joost
                        >

                        > Jeffrey Martin wrote:
                        >> "When Canon answered the rumor calls with its official unveiling of the
                        >> 15.1-megapixel EOS
                        >> 50D<http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/26/official-canons-15-1-megapixel-eos-50d-with-digic-4-processing/>,
                        >> it failed to nail down an exact release date. Thankfully, Circuit City has
                        >> informed us that "October" really means "October 6th," and the beastly DSLR
                        >> is up for pre-order right now for $1,399.99 (body only) / $1,599.99 (kit
                        >> with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens). Just over a fortnight to wait
                        >> -- surely you can twiddle your thumbs until then, yeah?"
                        >> http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/393465483/
                        >>

                        >> :-) anyone care to calculate the size of a 8mm sigma pano using this
                        >> monster?
                        >>
                        >> I wonder when we'll reach the resolution limit of the 8mm lens....
                        >

                        > ------------------------------------

                      • Andrey Ilyin
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 17, 2008
                          5D MkII preview - http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/

                          Specs looks impressive.
                        • Michael
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 17, 2008
                            Now it is public and the very much discussed movie feature seems very
                            interesting to me.

                            http://www.canon-ci.co.kr/product/smov/pop03.html

                            (the japanese 5D movie page was down for a while, but it's one of the
                            official clips)

                            Beside traditional movie clips (you'd might be better off with a
                            designated video cam), I'm thinking of panoramas with live parts. This
                            must be easier to achieve now, I suppose. Just take the usual single
                            shots for the panorama and take a video sequence of the desired part
                            with the same lens, correct NP, same light etc. There still is this
                            issue with reduced resolution of the movie, but still, if you don't
                            take a 3 shot 8mm panorama, you might well have a nice result.

                            I don't know how to make a live panorama out of this yet, but
                            shouldn't that be possible?

                            Interesting times ahead :-)

                            Yours,
                            Michael