PTGui and others

  • dario_sigona
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 10, 2006
      Hi all,

      I'm since a couple a week a new member, just reading til now.
      I've just bought PTGui for macos X and tryng it a little bit.

      Soon a couple of question.

      1-I did an equirectangular pano with Nikon D70 and 20mm (I have no fish eye and no
      spherical head) and manfrotto 302. It took 95 imgs 2kx3k. Everything worked perfect til
      "Create pano". At that moment PTGui tells "jnMMF::CreateFile:fopen:too many open files
      (24)". I'm working on a Powerbook G4, 1,33 GHz, 768MB ram, and using two HD with 25 GB
      free space. Disappointing is that PTmac 4.1 trial version has got no problem to create the
      pano.

      2-I also tried a partial pano, with 6 landscape 2kx3k. Perfect stitching and creating
      panorama. The question is how i use it: SPI-V/CubicNavigator/PTviewer always open it like an
      equirctangular...Is it possible playng it in such a way?

      thanks, Dario
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2006
        On Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 13:13, dario_sigona wrote:

        > 1-I did an equirectangular pano with Nikon D70 and 20mm (I have no
        > fish eye and no spherical head) and manfrotto 302. It took 95 imgs
        > 2kx3k. Everything worked perfect til "Create pano". At that moment
        > PTGui tells "jnMMF::CreateFile:fopen:too many open files (24)". I'm
        > working on a Powerbook G4, 1,33 GHz, 768MB ram, and using two HD with
        > 25 GB free space. Disappointing is that PTmac 4.1 trial version has
        > got no problem to create the pano.

        Joost would be interested to hear this. He has established a special
        beta test list for PTGui - this would be the better place to report
        bugs: http://groups.google.com/group/ptgui

        > 2-I also tried a partial pano, with 6 landscape 2kx3k. Perfect
        > stitching and creating panorama. The question is how i use it:
        > SPI-V/CubicNavigator/PTviewer always open it like an
        > equirctangular...Is it possible playng it in such a way?

        You don't need a special viewer to display cylindrical panoramas.
        However, if you want to display it perspective corrected (without
        bent lines) this should be possible with a variety of players.
        Spi-V assumes a cylindrical pano if the relation between width and
        height is not 2:1 (equirect) or 6:1 (cubic). If the horizontal angle
        of view is lower than 360° you need a XML control file to limit the
        pan width of course.

        best regards

        http://www.erik-krause.de/
      • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2006
          dario_sigona wrote:
          > 1-I did an equirectangular pano with Nikon D70 and 20mm (I have no fish eye and no
          > spherical head) and manfrotto 302. It took 95 imgs 2kx3k. Everything worked perfect til
          > "Create pano". At that moment PTGui tells "jnMMF::CreateFile:fopen:too many open files
          > (24)". I'm working on a Powerbook G4, 1,33 GHz, 768MB ram, and using two HD with 25 GB
          > free space. Disappointing is that PTmac 4.1 trial version has got no problem to create the
          > pano.

          Hi Dario,

          Coincidentally this problem was just fixed. The fix will be in the 6.0
          final version.

          As a workaround for the current beta, if you are familiar with the unix
          command line: open a terminal window, do 'ulimit -n 10000' and then
          launch PTGui from that same terminal window.

          Joost
        • dario_sigona
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 12, 2006
            > > 2-I also tried a partial pano, with 6 landscape 2kx3k. Perfect
            > > stitching and creating panorama. The question is how i use it:
            > > SPI-V/CubicNavigator/PTviewer always open it like an
            > > equirctangular...Is it possible playng it in such a way?
            >
            > You don't need a special viewer to display cylindrical panoramas.
            > However, if you want to display it perspective corrected (without
            > bent lines) this should be possible with a variety of players.
            > Spi-V assumes a cylindrical pano if the relation between width and
            > height is not 2:1 (equirect) or 6:1 (cubic). If the horizontal angle
            > of view is lower than 360° you need a XML control file to limit the
            > pan width of course.

            sorry, I was totally not clear in my question. It is:

            I have a pano about 120°x25° (partial cylindrical).
            If I drag it on a player (SPI-V/CubicNavigator/PTviewer) it is displayed like a full
            cylindrical...so I can turn around continuously (instead I would like it stop to the right/left
            edge). Is it a XML control file (that I'n not able to handle) the only way to limit the pan
            widht?

            thanks
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 12, 2006
              On Tuesday, September 12, 2006 at 18:08, dario_sigona wrote:

              > I have a pano about 120°x25° (partial cylindrical). If I drag it on a
              > player (SPI-V/CubicNavigator/PTviewer) it is displayed like a full
              > cylindrical...so I can turn around continuously (instead I would like
              > it stop to the right/left edge). Is it a XML control file (that I'n not
              > able to handle) the only way to limit the pan widht?

              For Spi-V? As far as I know: Yes. But look at the documentation at
              fieldofview.nl...

              XML is not that hard, just a bit like HTML. A plain text file with a
              tagged structure - pretty human readable...

              Is your pano architectural or why do you want to display it in a
              viewer? I display my cylindricals simply as images:
              http://www.erik-krause.de/bilder
              No problems with plugins that way of course ;-)

              best regards

              http://www.erik-krause.de/