Agnos Nikon 8mm Fisheye Ring Review

  • Wayne Heil
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9 1:29 PM
      I have coveted a monopod bracket for my Nikon 8mm since I saw Jook Leung's
      Ipix bracket (impossible to find) and Willy Kaemena's custom bracket
      (http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/Nikon8Head.jpg - I don't have the
      equipment to make it). I was thus excited to see a commercial product
      available from Agnos (see link below). I decided to buy one and received it
      last week.

      I had it shipped via Italian parcel post and it arrived within about 10
      days. It was well packaged and in good condition. I purchased the tripod
      version which came in three pieces: the ring, foot plate and adapter. The
      ring and adapter each connect to the foot plate with three screws (four were
      provided for each of the two sizes with a hex wrench for each size). The
      design is relatively light weight and very compact. It can be left on even
      when using the lens handheld.

      There was no diagram or instructions but it was fairly easy to figure out
      how it was to be assembled. Unfortunately on the sample that I received the
      holes in the foot plate did not line up accurately with the adaptor. I had
      to drill all of the holes to a larger size to be able to assemble the unit.
      Once it was assembled I attempted to install it on the lens. The ring has a
      red plastic insert that protects the lens finish. It also has a groove
      inside to accommodate a ridge on the lens so it must be inserted correctly
      to seat the ring. When it is seated it mostly blocks the view of the f/stops
      but this is not really a problem since I use the histograms to set exposure.
      The fit to the lens is good but not as precise as a pano head so the
      accuracy is a bit less.

      The ring bracket is thicker at the bottom where it attaches to the foot
      plate. This makes a solid attachment but it limits the rotation of the lens
      due to the protruding filter ring. On a Nikon D70 this limits the infrared
      sensor to the top of the camera. Thus if you want to use it above your head
      (my main reason for purchase) you cannot use the infrared remote unless you
      are shooting with a mirrored ceiling. I also have a D200 but as far as I can
      tell remote releases from Nikon have been out of stock for months with no
      end in site. (If anyone has a suggestion for a D200 remote release please
      email me off list).

      In my limited testing so far I can do as well handheld with a plumb line and
      hot shoe level. It will not have real value for me until I can solve the
      remote release problem. I know I could use the timer but that is too
      cumbersome for me. At $340 for the kit it is relatively expensive.

      If anyone else has purchased this product I would be interested in hearing
      about your experience.

      Wayne Heil

      Ring Link: http://www.agnos.com/catalogo.htm?v_lingua=ENG
      <http://www.agnos.com/catalogo.htm?v_lingua=ENG&v_iss_web=000000000000000068
      3416711371&v_categ_lista=PR001-RINGT&v_cod_art_sche=RINGT8N>
      &v_iss_web=0000000000000000683416711371&v_categ_lista=PR001-RINGT&v_cod_art_
      sche=RINGT8N

    • simonmag04
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9 6:10 PM
        Wayne,
        I also use the Agnos ring for the Nikon 8mm. Before that I had
        adapted my Jasper Panoramic bracket with a crudely bent piece of
        Aluminium which worked very well but would come last in any pano
        head fashion parade.
        As always service from Agnos was superb and it arrived at my front
        door in Australia in a mere 3 days. Beautifully built and easy to
        assemble, actually mounted it on an old agnos rotator. My biggest
        problem was getting it on the lens over the aperture rings,
        obviously had to remove the 'bit' on the aperture ring but only 2
        screws. Want to position it hard against the filter holder but it's
        not possible without cutting a bit of the plastic sleeve off. Still
        able to use the aperture ring as managed to get the ring just
        infront of it. Mine was supplied with shiny hex bolts but would have
        preferred black ones to prevent any reflections, have just covered
        them with some black tape. All in all very pleased with the results
        although no better than my old set-up.
        Also got the sigma version which attaches to the focus ring so have
        to tape the focus ring to prevent the camera body rotating.
        They are expensive bits of metal, but no regrets.
        Simon
      • Wayne Heil
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10 5:50 AM
          Simon,

          Thanks for your response. Although it took a bit of twisting and turning I
          was able to get the ring onto the lens without removing anything and the
          aperture ring turned fine. After reading your email and looking at the Agnos
          site again I repositioned the ring tight to the filter ring. This leaves a
          portion of the PVC ring exposed but it seems to seat fine. I am not sure if
          this correctly positions the nodal point or not but it does match the Agnos
          illustration. I agree that the screws should be black and will add some tape
          as well. I have been able to work around the remote control problem for the
          D70 by using a rubber strap to crudely attach a small hand mirror to reflect
          the infrared beam. It's not pretty but it works. Although the ring is
          expensive and not perfect I would also not return it.

          Suggested improvements would be to include assembly and installation
          diagrams and instructions and black screws.

          Wayne