Re: [PanoToolsNG] new micro four-thirds format

  • Aleksandr Milewski
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
      >> From: Jeffrey Martin
      >>
      >> http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/05/olympus-and-panasonic-launch-mi
      >> cro-four-thirds-dslrs-enter-a-ne/
      >>
      >> this could be excellent. it would allow the use of nearly *any*
      >> lens with an
      >> adapter, i presume.....

      Given that the current 4/3 cameras have one of the shortest flange
      distances around due to the smaller mirror, you're absolutely right. Not
      relying on through-the-lens viewing makes using an old lens in preset
      mode more palatable. Put a good focus assist on this and it could get
      interesting.

      Paul D. DeRocco wrote:

      > The whole world (judging by the people I see on the street) seems to have
      > accepted the idea of a camera without a viewfinder that you look into,
      > relying instead upon a small LCD on the back of the camera. This is not
      > progress.

      Maybe so, but it's not much of a regression. View cameras and Leica
      Rangefinders come to mind. Save those hot-shoe viewfinders! ;)

      > On top of that, while small cameras have one obvious advantage, they have
      > two disadvantages which many non-photographers seem to be unaware of.

      Agreed, though we're not moving backwards in this case, as the sensor
      size remains the same as the existing 4/3 system. I immediately thought
      of mounting one of these on the Gigapan Imager with some fine old Zeiss
      glass.