Re: [PanoToolsNG] RED dSLR ?

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2 2:01 AM
      Sometime around 2/9/08 (at 09:55 +0200) Jeffrey Martin said:

      >http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/09/02/red-plans-dslr-based.html

      >Mysterium "Monstro" is a sensor program that pushes the
      >envelope past anything on the horizon. It will go into Epic, and another
      >camera aimed squarely at the DSLR market. Epic ships with Mysterium-X and
      >has a free upgrade to Monstro.

      Interesting, but short on specifics and long on fuzzy talk.

      Compressed RAW at almost 24fps at what resolution? I doubt we're
      talking about 12MP or higher here, so at dSLR resolution levels
      rather than digital video levels that's likely to be in today's
      dSLR's burst mode speeds.

      What's said about sensors is... well, actually essentially nothing at all.

      "Pushes the envelope past anything on the horizon" is such an
      unquantifiable puff-piece statement that I'm amazed nobody in those
      forums has called him on it. I trawled those forums and the Red site
      and I'm essentially none the wiser about any of this.

      (I'm less amazed that the boingboing writer didn't think about this,
      as his posts don't display a great deal of critical depth and show no
      knowledge of professional photography either. Hey-ho.)

    • bohonus
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 2:17 AM

        > What's said about sensors is... well, actually essentially nothing at all.

        Yes, this was the meaning behind my "How so?" question. I had thought maybe the poster
        found some additional info about the sensor beyond what I was able to locate (which was
        basically nothing) that they could share. Red is apparently active in the video scene, but I do
        not use video equipment to make my vr panoramic images. If they have new developments in
        a sensor for still image camera beyond what is currently in the market- well, it would
        certainly help to know a little more about just what that would be.
      • Ian Wood
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2 2:40 AM
          On 2 Sep 2008, at 10:01, Keith Martin wrote:

          > Compressed RAW at almost 24fps at what resolution? I doubt we're
          > talking about 12MP or higher here, so at dSLR resolution levels
          > rather than digital video levels that's likely to be in today's
          > dSLR's burst mode speeds.

          Actually...

          Their existing Red One shoots 4k @ 30fps. In 'photographic' terms,
          that's 12MP, 12-bit RAW @ 30fps. That a future model might manage a
          slower frame rate @ 12MP isn't any wonder at all.

          Ian
        • Robert C. Fisher
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2 6:59 AM
            The Epic is a 5k camera that can shoot at 100fps. It could be a no
            brainer to pop the sensor into a Dslr body with pretty quick
            processors and get maybe 24fps in a small camera. Part of Red success
            is fan based so info is very spotty and their beta testers are their
            customers. The Red One camera started delivering last Oct/Nov and
            just a month ago is out of beta on the code and camera. Their fans
            are very loyal and service is above average. They do have issues
            since they are a very young company, less than 3 years old.

            On Sep 2, 2008, at 2:40 AM, Ian Wood wrote:

            > On 2 Sep 2008, at 10:01, Keith Martin wrote:
            >
            > > Compressed RAW at almost 24fps at what resolution? I doubt we're
            > > talking about 12MP or higher here, so at dSLR resolution levels
            > > rather than digital video levels that's likely to be in today's
            > > dSLR's burst mode speeds.
            >
            > Actually...
            >
            > Their existing Red One shoots 4k @ 30fps. In 'photographic' terms,
            > that's 12MP, 12-bit RAW @ 30fps. That a future model might manage a