RED dSLR ?

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
      http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/09/02/red-plans-dslr-based.html

      The primary advantage to RED is REDCODE. Compressed RAW at over 23.976 fps.
      This is a core invention of RED that's full effects have not been seen yet.
      The secondary advantage of RED is our sensor program. Some could argue that
      this is number one. Mysterium "Monstro" is a sensor program that pushes the
      envelope past anything on the horizon. It will go into Epic, and another
      camera aimed squarely at the DSLR market. Epic ships with Mysterium-X and
      has a free upgrade to Monstro.

    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
        Sometime around 2/9/08 (at 09:55 +0200) Jeffrey Martin said:

        >http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/09/02/red-plans-dslr-based.html

        >Mysterium "Monstro" is a sensor program that pushes the
        >envelope past anything on the horizon. It will go into Epic, and another
        >camera aimed squarely at the DSLR market. Epic ships with Mysterium-X and
        >has a free upgrade to Monstro.

        Interesting, but short on specifics and long on fuzzy talk.

        Compressed RAW at almost 24fps at what resolution? I doubt we're
        talking about 12MP or higher here, so at dSLR resolution levels
        rather than digital video levels that's likely to be in today's
        dSLR's burst mode speeds.

        What's said about sensors is... well, actually essentially nothing at all.

        "Pushes the envelope past anything on the horizon" is such an
        unquantifiable puff-piece statement that I'm amazed nobody in those
        forums has called him on it. I trawled those forums and the Red site
        and I'm essentially none the wiser about any of this.

        (I'm less amazed that the boingboing writer didn't think about this,
        as his posts don't display a great deal of critical depth and show no
        knowledge of professional photography either. Hey-ho.)

      • bohonus
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008

          > What's said about sensors is... well, actually essentially nothing at all.

          Yes, this was the meaning behind my "How so?" question. I had thought maybe the poster
          found some additional info about the sensor beyond what I was able to locate (which was
          basically nothing) that they could share. Red is apparently active in the video scene, but I do
          not use video equipment to make my vr panoramic images. If they have new developments in
          a sensor for still image camera beyond what is currently in the market- well, it would
          certainly help to know a little more about just what that would be.
        • Ian Wood
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
            On 2 Sep 2008, at 10:01, Keith Martin wrote:

            > Compressed RAW at almost 24fps at what resolution? I doubt we're
            > talking about 12MP or higher here, so at dSLR resolution levels
            > rather than digital video levels that's likely to be in today's
            > dSLR's burst mode speeds.

            Actually...

            Their existing Red One shoots 4k @ 30fps. In 'photographic' terms,
            that's 12MP, 12-bit RAW @ 30fps. That a future model might manage a
            slower frame rate @ 12MP isn't any wonder at all.

            Ian
          • Robert C. Fisher
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
              The Epic is a 5k camera that can shoot at 100fps. It could be a no
              brainer to pop the sensor into a Dslr body with pretty quick
              processors and get maybe 24fps in a small camera. Part of Red success
              is fan based so info is very spotty and their beta testers are their
              customers. The Red One camera started delivering last Oct/Nov and
              just a month ago is out of beta on the code and camera. Their fans
              are very loyal and service is above average. They do have issues
              since they are a very young company, less than 3 years old.

              On Sep 2, 2008, at 2:40 AM, Ian Wood wrote:

              > On 2 Sep 2008, at 10:01, Keith Martin wrote:
              >
              > > Compressed RAW at almost 24fps at what resolution? I doubt we're
              > > talking about 12MP or higher here, so at dSLR resolution levels
              > > rather than digital video levels that's likely to be in today's
              > > dSLR's burst mode speeds.
              >
              > Actually...
              >
              > Their existing Red One shoots 4k @ 30fps. In 'photographic' terms,
              > that's 12MP, 12-bit RAW @ 30fps. That a future model might manage a