Re: Gigapan & Canon G9 examples

  • pepoloe
    Message 1 of 61 , Sep 1, 2008
      Open source is nice for software, but we are talking about mechanics
      and electronics. You can easily use any microcontroller board, write
      some lines of code and drive the motors, release the cam via IR or
      optocoupler. This is np at all.
      But how many people are out there, who could build this device from
      scratch?
      You would also need to find a shop who could deliver the packaged
      mechanical hardware and the electronic parts.
      I had the same idea as I developed the GigaPanBot, but If I open it to
      public, I guess i would need to do full time support on answering
      emails...
      If you want to swap the servo, np, you can replace it any time with an
      IR transmitter http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/
      and you don't even need to change the code.

      Cheers Traugott

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jo4mail" <jo4mail@...> wrote:

      > Disassembling or pimping GPs mechanics make no sense to me, as GPs
      > solid chassis sizing is just for PS-Cams.
      >
      > But swapping the monster-servo-shutter-release and the correspondent
      > code part is an option that would pleasure me :))
      >
      > Some nice IR-solutions or eletric triggers ..
      >
      > But open hardware, open source may be a different approach adressing a
      > different community ...
      >
      > cheers
      > Paul

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 61 of 61 , Sep 23, 2008
        That should be obvious.. heh.

        Prime versus zoom.

        The problem, is 28 isn't really wide enough to be really useful for a lot of
        interior work, and composition without zoom and difficult to say the least,
        since you often don't have placement luxury.

        As an exterior lens, I'm sure it's a great lens to have.

        I've always wondered how the MK2 stacks up against, the 10-22, since you
        aren't using the outer parts of the lens with the 10-22.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net