RE: [PanoToolsNG] new micro four-thirds format

  • Paul D. DeRocco
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
      > From: Jeffrey Martin
      >
      > http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/05/olympus-and-panasonic-launch-mi
      > cro-four-thirds-dslrs-enter-a-ne/
      >
      > this could be excellent. it would allow the use of nearly *any*
      > lens with an
      > adapter, i presume.....

      The whole world (judging by the people I see on the street) seems to have
      accepted the idea of a camera without a viewfinder that you look into,
      relying instead upon a small LCD on the back of the camera. This is not
      progress. First, unless you have near 20:20 vision, you can't focus back and
      forth between an LCD 12 inches away and a subject 12 or more feet away
      without taking your glasses on and off. Second, what you see on an LCD is
      much, much smaller than what you see looking through a viewfinder. Third,
      you lose the extra stabilization of holding a camera against your head.

      On top of that, while small cameras have one obvious advantage, they have
      two disadvantages which many non-photographers seem to be unaware of. First,
      they don't capture as much light, so all other things being equal, they
      produce noisier images. Second, with a smaller aperture, you can't get as
      shallow a DOF, and therefore can't get as much selectivity, as you can when
      looking through a nice big hole.

      --

      Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
      Paul mailto:pderocco@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
        >> From: Jeffrey Martin
        >>
        >> http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/05/olympus-and-panasonic-launch-mi
        >> cro-four-thirds-dslrs-enter-a-ne/
        >>
        >> this could be excellent. it would allow the use of nearly *any*
        >> lens with an
        >> adapter, i presume.....

        Given that the current 4/3 cameras have one of the shortest flange
        distances around due to the smaller mirror, you're absolutely right. Not
        relying on through-the-lens viewing makes using an old lens in preset
        mode more palatable. Put a good focus assist on this and it could get
        interesting.

        Paul D. DeRocco wrote:

        > The whole world (judging by the people I see on the street) seems to have
        > accepted the idea of a camera without a viewfinder that you look into,
        > relying instead upon a small LCD on the back of the camera. This is not
        > progress.

        Maybe so, but it's not much of a regression. View cameras and Leica
        Rangefinders come to mind. Save those hot-shoe viewfinders! ;)

        > On top of that, while small cameras have one obvious advantage, they have
        > two disadvantages which many non-photographers seem to be unaware of.

        Agreed, though we're not moving backwards in this case, as the sensor
        size remains the same as the existing 4/3 system. I immediately thought
        of mounting one of these on the Gigapan Imager with some fine old Zeiss
        glass.