Re: [PanoToolsNG] Gigapan & Canon G9 examples

  • Bernhard Vogl
    Message 1 of 61 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hello Eric,

      I agree with your findings. Comparing lightness and ease of use of the
      setup with the results, i'm really trilled by the results. In the
      future, i'll probably often prefer the Gigapan over large and heavy DSLR
      setups - especially if i can't go by car to the shooting location ... it
      _does_ make a difference if you have to carry 1 kg or 4-5 kg over a long
      distance ;-)
      Still, i'm full of expectation about a larger Gigapan. I hope, the SLR
      model will contain the same key features that make the current model
      such a useful device...
      Regarding pushing the limits, i'm interested to hear about your
      progress. What i can tell from different experiments with my own robots,
      a G9 with tele extender (400mm if i'm right) already reaches the
      physical limits (air, temperature and haze) of what you are able to
      shoot. I personally have set my own limit to about 300mm (~450mm) for
      usable panoramas. I also tried with a 500mm lens but stopped further
      experiments because setup (e.g. focus) and atmosphere limits prevented
      much increase of image quality...

      Regarding PTGui and robotic setups, i exchanged mails a few days ago
      with Joost, who is already aware of the demand. I am confident that we
      will see some clever pre-alignment methods in his software in the near
      future.
      Also, Autopano Giga is available as an alpha version - doesn't work
      perfect at the moment, but it already includes import options for
      various imaging robots, including the Gigapan.

      Bernhard
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 61 of 61 , Sep 23, 2008
        That should be obvious.. heh.

        Prime versus zoom.

        The problem, is 28 isn't really wide enough to be really useful for a lot of
        interior work, and composition without zoom and difficult to say the least,
        since you often don't have placement luxury.

        As an exterior lens, I'm sure it's a great lens to have.

        I've always wondered how the MK2 stacks up against, the 10-22, since you
        aren't using the outer parts of the lens with the 10-22.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net