Nadir/Zenith patching workflow

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 29, 2008
      Since there has been quite a bit of discussion on this in the "ptgui project
      failing" thread, I thought I'd share my workflow, but in a new thread.

      What I've done is create some Photoshop actions and two PTGui templates that
      automate a lot of the steps.

      The two PTGui templates are as follows:

      1 Extract Nadir 8K.pts

      2 Insert Nadir 8K.pts

      (I tried to upload these to the wiki, but it doesn't accept .pts files, and
      renaming to .doc or .txt didn't work either. I'm more than happy to email
      these upon request. If there is a way to upload .pts files to the wiki, that
      would be great.)

      The Photoshop actions are:

      Save Nadir Export

      Open Patch to Fix

      Flatten and Save Patch

      Open Fixed Nadir

      (Feeling a bit thick here, because I couldn't upload the atn file, even
      though it looks like that format is allowed... Help!)

      Here are the steps I take:

      1. Open the equirectangular stitched image. The dimensions of my stitches
      are 8192 x 4096 pixels. I use layers, so any problems with content that can
      be fixed by adjusting the layer masks I do first.

      2. Once I'm ready to work on the nadir patching, I run the Save Nadir
      Export action. This flattens the image, saves it as export.tif with
      transparency in my H:\~~PTGui Templates folder with Copy and Without Layers
      options, then goes back to the previous history state. That last step
      restores your layers, and your equirectangular image remains open.

      3. Launch PTGui Batch Stitcher and open the "1 Extract Nadir 8K.pts"
      file. This template uses the h:\~~PTGui Templates\export.tif file you just
      created as its source, for Panorama Settings the projection is Rectilinear
      with 90 degree hFOV and vFOV, pitch of 90, and saved as a 2048 x 2048 tif
      named H:\~~PTGui Templates\patch.tif, no layers. This takes a couple of
      seconds to run. When the batch stitcher is finished, go back to Photoshop.

      4. In Photoshop, run the Open Patch to Fix action, which opens H:\~~PTGui
      Templates\patch.tif.

      5. Create a new layer in this image in Photoshop, use whatever tools and
      techniques you prefer to make the nadir hole disappear, then run the Flatten
      and Save Patch action. (This is pure laziness on my part. All it does is
      flatten the patch file, save it, and close it.)

      This uses H:\~~PTGui Templates\patch.tif as its source image and has the
      following settings: Panorama Settings is Equirectangular with 360 degree
      hFOV and 180 vFOV, Pitch of -90, Width of 8192 x 4096, and saved as
      H:\~~PTGui Templates\nadir.tif, no layers.

      7. Once the batch stitcher is done, which takes less than a minute, go
      into Photoshop and run the Open Fixed Nadir action. This simply opens
      H:\~~PTGui Templates\nadir.tif. Drag the layer from nadir.tif onto your
      original image while holding down the Shift key, (so that the positioning
      remains the same), and you're all set. I double click on the layer and name
      it "nadir" for easier reference.

      8. Save, and you're done.

      9. If you need to do zenith patching, the process is identical, except in
      Photoshop, first choose Image|Rotate Canvas|Flip Canvas Vertical. After
      completing step 7, repeat the menu process to flip it right side up.

      I hope this helps. I've found it very helpful in streamlining the repetitive
      tasks that otherwise can trip me up. As I said, I'm more than happy to email
      the related files to anyone, or if there is a way to post these to the wiki
      site, then let me know.

      Mark

      www.hudsonvalley.360cities.net <http://www.hudsonvalley.360cities.net/>

      www.nyc.360cities.net <http://www.nyc.360cities.net/>

      www.pinnacle-vr.com <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/>

      www.northernlight.net <http://www.northernlight.net/>

    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 1, 2008
        Thomas,

        Thanks for the suggestion! I've uploaded the three files now. Hope they
        help.

        Mark
        www.nyc.360cities.net
        www.hudsonvalley.360cities.net