Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: different color profiles in irfanview / photoshop

  • mrjimbo
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 29, 2008
      Howdy...
      Read the posts .. just thought I would add comment or two.. I frequently work with artist's that inadvertantly shoot themself in the foot ..
      First sRGB is a smaller color space then Adobe 98 .. So yes you can convert from sRGB to Adobe RGB at no loss ..including going back the other way.. If you do it the other way however you'll permanently clip the file.. Note that assigning a profile is quite different then converting to one.. When assigning a profile you view the parent file in the color space assigned while the actual data remains in the original color space. When you use the convert option you are remapping the actual data to that color space.. So if it to a smaller color spac eyour clipping the image
      sRGB is not that great a color space today.. Most good printers will print well beyond that.. In some ways it doesn't make real sense to mess with sRGB and 16 bit.. as one is cliping the original image and the other is trying to make it accurate. Their are some great camera spaces out their today that are far superior to sRGB and Adobe 98 is availabe on many of the better rigs..
      If your planning to do extensive work on a file from a camera that only offers sRGB then it make s sense to convert from sRGB to Adobe 98.. but I would suggest leaving it their and not converting back as most likely you'll be clipping some of your work efforts.. Some of the better printers will print very close to the entire Adobe 98 gamut.. ( Canon's iPF series, Hp's Z and Epson's x900 series..)
      Anyway just a couple of thoughts...

      jimbo