Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: different color profiles in irfanview / photoshop

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 29, 2008
      Sometime around 29/8/08 (at 15:07 +0300) Lars O. Grobe said:

      >Imagine the space as an empty room - even if a position
      >is inside the room, you may not be able to reach it if you hop around in
      >1m steps ;-)

      Lovely analogy. Strange but lovely. :-)

    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 29, 2008
        Sometime around 29/8/08 (at 12:22 +0000) bohonus said:

        >Only colors that fall outside the destination gamut are changed.

        Or not, depending on the chosen conversion intent settings. :-)

        Relative Colorimetric is generally the recommended choice, and when
        the source and destination gamuts aren't dramatically different this
        works well. However, the Perceptual option is normally preferable for
        converting wide-gamut content to more normal output gamuts, as that
        preserves the relationships between colours throughout the gamut.

        Oh my aching head!

      • bohonus
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 29, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:
          > Oh, and another thing: what happens when I convert my image from sRGB
          > to AdobeRGB and back to sRGB again (all in 16 bit colourdepth)? I
          > imagine it would be damaged quite extensively by all those
          > transformations.

          Virtually nothing will happen. You will have an identical image.
        • bohonus
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 29, 2008

            > Sometime around 29/8/08 (at 12:22 +0000) bohonus said:
            >
            > >Only colors that fall outside the destination gamut are changed.
            >
            > Or not, depending on the chosen conversion intent settings. :-)

            If converting to a space that is smaller, yes. But not when converting from a smaller gamut to
            one that is entirely larger, which is what the original question (and my answer) was in regards
            to.
          • mrjimbo
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 29, 2008
              Howdy...
              Read the posts .. just thought I would add comment or two.. I frequently work with artist's that inadvertantly shoot themself in the foot ..
              First sRGB is a smaller color space then Adobe 98 .. So yes you can convert from sRGB to Adobe RGB at no loss ..including going back the other way.. If you do it the other way however you'll permanently clip the file.. Note that assigning a profile is quite different then converting to one.. When assigning a profile you view the parent file in the color space assigned while the actual data remains in the original color space. When you use the convert option you are remapping the actual data to that color space.. So if it to a smaller color spac eyour clipping the image
              sRGB is not that great a color space today.. Most good printers will print well beyond that.. In some ways it doesn't make real sense to mess with sRGB and 16 bit.. as one is cliping the original image and the other is trying to make it accurate. Their are some great camera spaces out their today that are far superior to sRGB and Adobe 98 is availabe on many of the better rigs..
              If your planning to do extensive work on a file from a camera that only offers sRGB then it make s sense to convert from sRGB to Adobe 98.. but I would suggest leaving it their and not converting back as most likely you'll be clipping some of your work efforts.. Some of the better printers will print very close to the entire Adobe 98 gamut.. ( Canon's iPF series, Hp's Z and Epson's x900 series..)
              Anyway just a couple of thoughts...

              jimbo