ptgui project failing

  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 28 10:27 AM
      hello,
      My ptgui projects are now silently failing at the stitching /blending process
      using ptgui on windows vista.
      it is a 11808x5904 equirectangular.
      the only thing that has changed that i can think of is that the c drive is
      getting full but it has 34Gb free.
      there is no error message the stitching just dies .
      searching for the file it shows up in recent documents but the file itself is
      nowhere to be found.
      any idea what might be happening and where there might be an error message
      ?

      regards

      mick

    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 28 11:02 AM
        Mick,
        Does it fail on all projects - even on very small ones?
        Which version of PTGui are you using?
        Have you tried reinstalling it?
        Maybe you could try PTGui V8beta8.
        You could also try using an alternative stitcher (PTStitcher) and
        blender (Smartblend or Enblend), which might throw some light on
        which process is failing.

        John

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:

        > hello,
        > My ptgui projects are now silently failing at the
        stitching /blending process
        > using ptgui on windows vista.
        > it is a 11808x5904 equirectangular.
        > the only thing that has changed that i can think of is that the c
        drive is
        > getting full but it has 34Gb free.
        > there is no error message the stitching just dies .
        > searching for the file it shows up in recent documents but the file
        itself is
        > nowhere to be found.
        > any idea what might be happening and where there might be an error
        message
        > ?
        >
        > regards
        >
        > mick

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 28 11:30 AM
          Sounds like the blender may be dying.. enblend or smartblend. If you use
          ptgui, I might try deleting all files in the output directory.

          I believe the temporary files are created there.

          That's a pretty small file.. it shouldn't require anywhere near 34gb.

          I'd send an email to joost, he's really good about support. Be sure to
          follow up with your solution.

          Sacha Griffin

          Southern Digital Solutions LLC

          http://www.southern-digital.com

          http://www.seeit360.net

          404-551-4275

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 28 11:49 AM
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
            wrote:

            > Sounds like the blender may be dying.. enblend or smartblend. If you
            use
            > ptgui, I might try deleting all files in the output directory.
            >
            > I believe the temporary files are created there.
            >
            > That's a pretty small file.. it shouldn't require anywhere near 34gb.
            >
            > I'd send an email to joost, he's really good about support. Be sure to
            > follow up with your solution.

            I just used smartblend and it succeded the same size. I always usually
            used smartblend but I just got ptgui pro and used the ptgui blender..
            ptgui v6.0.3 blender has worked before. but now neither work.
            also I have an issue with ptadjust plugin which is running out of
            memory extracting the nadir view and I have to restart photoshop to get
            it to run. So there seems to be something else going on. windows says
            the memory is ok .
            </shrug>

            cheers

            mick
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 28 12:16 PM
              Don't use the panorama tools plugins, you can close photoshop and apply an
              extract or insert template and output the file in ptgui much faster.

              Plus it will never work at that resolution.

              To create a template, you only need to load the 360 panorama, set the lens
              type to "equirectangular" panorama type to rectilinear fov 120, zeros on all
              the lens settings, set your optimum resolution and preferred output and save
              the project.

              For the inverse template, it should be obvious. You then only need to set
              pitch on the image tab.

              You can then work in 16 bit, on much larger images.

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 28 1:26 PM
                <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                > Don't use the panorama tools plugins, you can close photoshop and
                apply an
                > extract or insert template and output the file in ptgui much
                faster.

                > Plus it will never work at that resolution.
                >
                > To create a template, you only need to load the 360 panorama, set
                the lens
                > type to "equirectangular" panorama type to rectilinear fov 120,
                zeros on all
                > the lens settings, set your optimum resolution and preferred output
                and save
                > the project.
                >
                > For the inverse template, it should be obvious. You then only need
                to set
                > pitch on the image tab.
                >
                > You can then work in 16 bit, on much larger images.

                do you want to send me a wink demonstration of the workflow ?

                ;-)

                mick
              • m_c_r_a_n_e
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 29 7:05 AM
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "m_c_r_a_n_e" <crane@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"
                  > <sachagriffin@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Don't use the panorama tools plugins, you can close photoshop and
                  > apply an
                  > > extract or insert template and output the file in ptgui much
                  > faster.
                  > >
                  > > Plus it will never work at that resolution.
                  > >
                  > > To create a template, you only need to load the 360 panorama, set
                  > the lens
                  > > type to "equirectangular" panorama type to rectilinear fov 120,
                  > zeros on all
                  > > the lens settings, set your optimum resolution and preferred
                  output
                  > and save
                  > > the project.
                  > >
                  > > For the inverse template, it should be obvious. You then only
                  need
                  > to set
                  > > pitch on the image tab.
                  > >
                  > > You can then work in 16 bit, on much larger images.
                  >
                  > do you want to send me a wink demonstration of the workflow ?

                  the reason I ask is that i do not seem to have it clear.

                  load my equirectangular image.
                  lens type equirectangular. Hor field of view 360
                  panorama settings rectilinear fov 100 h fov 100 v
                  image parameters yaw 0 pitch 90
                  create panorama leaving size as is happens to be 2000x2000

                  load resulting nadir into photoshop and retouch it.
                  add image to ptgui project
                  panorama settings equirectangular 360h x 180v
                  lens settings type equirectangular tick both images use individual
                  parameters for lens

                  image parameters for equirectangular pitch 0 lens type
                  equirectangular fov 360

                  for nadir image pitch -90 lens type rectilinear fov 100

                  when I do this the preview has the new nadir
                  but if I then create the panorama (include both images are ticked)
                  The result is the panorama without the new nadir ?

                  any advice

                  mick
                • Jim Watters
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 29 7:20 AM
                    The equirectangular image likely has data in the nadir area.
                    You need to either:
                    - Add a mask to that region you want to exclude.
                    - Place the new nadir at the top of the list so it is included first in
                    stitching and blending
                    - Give the nadir image a higher importance and equirectangular less, in
                    PTGui.

                    Jim Watters

                    m_c_r_a_n_e wrote:
                    > I load my equirectangular image.
                    > lens type equirectangular. Hor field of view 360
                    > panorama settings rectilinear fov 100 h fov 100 v
                    > image parameters yaw 0 pitch 90
                    > create panorama leaving size as is happens to be 2000x2000
                    >
                    > load resulting nadir into photoshop and retouch it.
                    > add image to ptgui project
                    > panorama settings equirectangular 360h x 180v
                    > lens settings type equirectangular tick both images use individual
                    > parameters for lens
                    >
                    > image parameters for equirectangular pitch 0 lens type
                    > equirectangular fov 360
                    >
                    > for nadir image pitch -90 lens type rectilinear fov 100
                    >
                    > when I do this the preview has the new nadir
                    > but if I then create the panorama (include both images are ticked)
                    > The result is the panorama without the new nadir ?
                    >
                    > any advice
                    >
                    > mick

                    Jim Watters

                    jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                    http://photocreations.ca
                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 29 7:55 AM
                      I don't stitch the original back in. I drag the insert as a layer back on
                      the original in photoshop.

                      There is a trick here, since there is a mask, you must select the black
                      region and go to select expand +2 or 4 pixels.

                      This ensures that you have selected beyond where the mask aliases against
                      the image. Or you'll get a thin line around your insert when its overlayed.

                      Once you create an action, you don't have to worry about this anymore.

                      In summary: Just don't load your equirectangular and combine the new layer
                      with the original in photoshop.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 29 8:07 AM

                        > The equirectangular image likely has data in the nadir area.
                        > You need to either:
                        > - Add a mask to that region you want to exclude.
                        > - Place the new nadir at the top of the list so it is included first
                        in
                        > stitching and blending
                        > - Give the nadir image a higher importance and equirectangular less,
                        in
                        > PTGui.

                        If I put the nadir above, weirdly, the viewer shows the nadir blended
                        in place but now the panorama editor does not show it at all and if I
                        create the panorama then I get an area with a 20 degree piece of the
                        nadir.
                        so what do I do wrong ?
                        cheers

                        mick
                      • m_c_r_a_n_e
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 29 8:33 AM
                          <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                          > I don't stitch the original back in. I drag the insert as a layer
                          back on
                          > the original in photoshop.
                          >
                          > There is a trick here, since there is a mask, you must select the
                          black
                          > region and go to select expand +2 or 4 pixels.
                          >
                          > This ensures that you have selected beyond where the mask aliases
                          against
                          > the image. Or you'll get a thin line around your insert when its
                          overlayed.

                          > Once you create an action, you don't have to worry about this
                          anymore.

                          > In summary: Just don't load your equirectangular and combine the
                          new layer
                          > with the original in photoshop.

                          I really don't understand that !
                          one is equirectangular and the other is rectilinear how can you
                          combine them as layers in photoshop ?

                          regards

                          mick
                        • Sacha Griffin
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 29 8:35 AM
                            You import the retouched patch in ptgui, output it as equirectangular, and
                            send it off to photoshop.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 29 8:58 AM
                              wrote:

                              > You import the retouched patch in ptgui, output it as
                              equirectangular, and
                              > send it off to photoshop.

                              Ok I just RTFM'd and I see what you originally meant. but it does look
                              like it should be possible to stitch back in with ptgui although
                              http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_16 says not
                              cheers

                              mick
                            • m_c_r_a_n_e
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 29 9:03 AM
                              • Sacha Griffin
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 29 9:11 AM
                                  That is an equirectangular to equirectangular back to rectangular method.

                                  I prefer retouching rectilinear views. Its hard as nails to use the
                                  clone/heal tool on lines that are ever curving away from the center.

                                  IE, tiles, parquet floors, etc.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 29 9:39 AM
                                    <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                                    > That is an equirectangular to equirectangular back to rectangular
                                    method.

                                    > I prefer retouching rectilinear views. Its hard as nails to use the
                                    > clone/heal tool on lines that are ever curving away from the center.
                                    >
                                    > IE, tiles, parquet floors, etc.

                                    well that has been my study period for today.

                                    yes I agree
                                    I always used epaperpress/ptadjust plugin with no problem until now.

                                    http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#6_10
                                    is what you describe.

                                    I do think I have some rogue software/memory problem which is what
                                    started this thread. going to have to reinstall everything probably
                                    to eliminate that.
                                    "it's the only way to be sure".

                                    cheers

                                    mick
                                  • John Houghton
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 31 10:14 AM
                                      ---- Start SpamAssassin results
                                      12.6 points, 5.0 required;

                                      * 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
                                      * 10 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
                                      * [score: 1.0000]
                                      * 2.3 HTML_TINY_FONT RAW: body contains 1 or 0-point font
                                      * 0.3 AWL AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

                                      ---- End SpamAssassin results

                                      The original message was not completely plain text, and may be unsafe to
                                      open with some email clients; in particular, it may contain a virus,
                                      or confirm that your address can receive spam. If you wish to view
                                      it, it may be safer to save it to a file and open it with an editor.

                                    • John Houghton
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 31 10:14 AM
                                        wrote:

                                        > I don't stitch the original back in. I drag the insert as a layer
                                        > back on the original in photoshop.
                                        >
                                        > There is a trick here, since there is a mask, you must select the
                                        > black region and go to select expand +2 or 4 pixels.

                                        I don't find this trick to be necessary. PTGui can output the tif
                                        image with a transparent surround. You can just go ahead and drag the
                                        image onto the original equirectangular without further ado. (This is
                                        with alpha channel type: Normal Associated).

                                        John
                                      • Sacha Griffin
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 1, 2008
                                          Thank John! I've been doing it this way for 3-4 years. Perhaps back in the
                                          day there was a reason or maybe not.