Re:The latest Sigma 4.5mm fisheye

  • Roberto Gomez Torres
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 27, 2008
      Hello Roger,

      I own a Nikon D300 and three fisheye lenses, the Nikon F/2.8 10.5mm, the
      Sigma F/3.5 8mm and the Sigma F/2.8 4.5mm.
      At my 2008 gallery you can see many full screen panorama samples made with
      those lenses (each panorama at the footer tells which lens was used) :

      http://www.tiempo-digital.com/galeria/2008.html

      You are correct that the Sigma 4.5mm will give you some advantages like less
      storage space needed (more panoramas on a single Compact Flash card), you
      can get a very good spherical panorama with only 3 pictures, great lens if
      you need to shoot very fast, good overlap with 3 or 4 pictures per pano,
      less time stitching, masking and photo retouching because you have less
      pictures, and fast speed because of the F/2.8 aperture on low light
      environments.

      You loose resolution (as you already know) and the sharpness of the Nikon
      10.5mm is better.
      If you can, rent the Sigma 4.5mm for a weekend and see if it covers your
      needs.

      I liked the advise Ayrton gave you, If you already own a Nikon 10.5mm buying
      the new Nikon D700 could be in the same budget as if buying a Nikon D300
      plus the Sigma 4.5mm.
      The Nikon 10.5mm with the sun shade removed (shaved) on the full sensor on
      the Nikon D700 would allow you to make a panorama with 4 pictures.

      At this time I am using the Sigma 4.5mm when I need fast photo capturing or
      when the panorama will be use on windowed panoramas or mobile devices like
      the iPhone.
      I am starting to use the Sigma 8mm for outdoor panoramas and the Nikon
      10.5mm for indoor places when the detail on the Zenith (like architecture,
      churches, etc). is important.

      Hope that helps.
      And feel free to write privately if you have more questions.
      ======================
      Roberto Gómez Torres
      Tiempo Digital
      Mexico City, Mexico
      www.tiempo-digital.com
      ======================

      The latest Sigma 4.5mm fisheye
      Posted by: "Roger D. Williams" roger@... roger_d_williams
      Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:45 pm (PDT)

      I have decided to move from D200 to D300, and am wondering whether
      to get the new Sigma 4.5mm circular fisheye lens at the same time.

      I am aware that the image circle is designed to fill the Canon
      (x1.6) sensors, and leaves an unused ring around the image on a
      Nikon (x1.5) sensor. But is there anything else that I should be
      aware of? For instance, is CA noticeably bad around the periphery?

      Any other issues?

      I do have the Nikon 10.5mm full-frame fisheye, but want to cut
      down on stitching and post-processing, because of some rather
      large projects that may be coming up in the near future.

      There is also that U.S. fixed aperture circular fisheye, forget
      the name. Should I be considering that?

      Roger W.
    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 31, 2008
        ---- Start SpamAssassin results
        12.4 points, 5.0 required;

        * 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
        * 10 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
        * [score: 1.0000]
        * 2.3 HTML_TINY_FONT RAW: body contains 1 or 0-point font
        * 0.1 AWL AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

        ---- End SpamAssassin results

        The original message was not completely plain text, and may be unsafe to
        open with some email clients; in particular, it may contain a virus,
        or confirm that your address can receive spam. If you wish to view
        it, it may be safer to save it to a file and open it with an editor.