Pano2QTVR 1.5.0 beta 2 released

  • Thomas Rauscher
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 8, 2006
      Hello,

      I just released a new *beta* of Pano2QTVR + FlashPack.

      You can download the latest version from
      http://www.pano2qtvr.com/download.php#beta

      The most notable change is the greatly improved speed an quality. The
      examples had been updated at
      http://www.pano2qtvr.com/sample_flash.php

      I also made a fullscreen version:
      http://www.pano2qtvr.com/fs2.php?pic=park_fullscreen&t=4

      Since most of the complains targeted the quality I increase the
      default settings and I also reduced the settings to one slider and a
      check box. The rest is done automatically.

      I also fixed the bug limiting the window size to 800x800 pixels

      I don't want to mess this list with beta testing so I have set up a
      forum at http://www.pano2qtvr.com/forum Lets see how this works out. I
      will still post announcements if there is some interest.

      Some features I announced with the last email are still missing, but I
      hope you are as exited about the speed/quality improvements as I am to
      compensate you for the still missing other features.

      MfG,
      Thomas.
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 8, 2006
        Thomas Rauscher wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I just released a new *beta* of Pano2QTVR + FlashPack.
        >
        > You can download the latest version from
        > http://www.pano2qtvr.com/download.php#beta
        >
        > The most notable change is the greatly improved speed an quality. The
        > examples had been updated at
        > http://www.pano2qtvr.com/sample_flash.php
        >
        > I also made a fullscreen version:
        > http://www.pano2qtvr.com/fs2.php?pic=park_fullscreen&t=4
        >
        > Since most of the complains targeted the quality I increase the
        > default settings and I also reduced the settings to one slider and a
        > check box. The rest is done automatically.
        >
        > I also fixed the bug limiting the window size to 800x800 pixels
        >
        > I don't want to mess this list with beta testing so I have set up a
        > forum at http://www.pano2qtvr.com/forum Lets see how this works out. I
        > will still post announcements if there is some interest.

        Definitely post announcements here.

        > Some features I announced with the last email are still missing, but I
        > hope you are as exited about the speed/quality improvements as I am to
        > compensate you for the still missing other features.
        >
        > MfG,
        > Thomas.

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • Tristan Shu
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 9, 2006
          Thomas,

          I'm really impressed by the results you came out with.
          I must admit that even if i was supporting all your previous development
          with flash, i didnt felt ready to use it myself - finding the result not
          high quality enough in terms of panning.
          Well, it completely changed with your last improvements...
          I think the very interesting current thread 'Which viewer to use ?' will
          now change... what an exciting new alternative !!

          With the speed at which you're improving your code, smooth high quality
          fullscreen with QT will be a story of the past in no times...

          I'm getting a bit over-excited, but that might be the biggest
          contribution to Panorama since the invention of Fullscreen by Hans...

          Thank you A LOT Thomas.

          Tristan
          www.tristanshu.com

          PS: i cant believe i saw the first fullscreen 360x180 flash panorama
          today.... i was expecting it for at least next year to the most...

          PPS: i've been a regular pro user of pano2qtvr for while now, time to
          purchase the update with the flashpack...

          Thomas Rauscher a écrit :

          > Hello,
          >
          > I just released a new *beta* of Pano2QTVR + FlashPack.
          >
          > You can download the latest version from
          > http://www.pano2qtvr.com/download.php#beta
          > <http://www.pano2qtvr.com/download.php#beta>
          >
          > The most notable change is the greatly improved speed an quality. The
          > examples had been updated at
          > http://www.pano2qtvr.com/sample_flash.php
          > <http://www.pano2qtvr.com/sample_flash.php>
          >
          > I also made a fullscreen version:
          > http://www.pano2qtvr.com/fs2.php?pic=park_fullscreen&t=4
          > <http://www.pano2qtvr.com/fs2.php?pic=park_fullscreen&t=4>
          >
          > Since most of the complains targeted the quality I increase the
          > default settings and I also reduced the settings to one slider and a
          > check box. The rest is done automatically.
          >
          > I also fixed the bug limiting the window size to 800x800 pixels
          >
          > I don't want to mess this list with beta testing so I have set up a
          > forum at http://www.pano2qtvr.com/forum
          > <http://www.pano2qtvr.com/forum> Lets see how this works out. I
          > will still post announcements if there is some interest.
          >
          > Some features I announced with the last email are still missing, but I
          > hope you are as exited about the speed/quality improvements as I am to
          > compensate you for the still missing other features.
          >
          > MfG,
          > Thomas.
          >

          > _._,___
        • Ingemar Bergmark
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 9, 2006
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com>
            , Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I just released a new *beta* of Pano2QTVR + FlashPack.
            > After seeing the quality of the Flash panoramas Pano2QTVR produced,
            I quickly purchased the FlashPack :-) I see a big potential of this
            product....Thanks Thomas! However I do have some problems on my PC
            when viewing any of the Flash panoramas. They are very sluggish to react
            to my mouse movements, and then all of a sudden everything happens at
            once.
            It's like all mouse events have been queued up for some reason, and then
            released in a Flash(:-D)-flood of instructions. I made a sample
            fullscreen flash-panorama of one of my recent panoramas. The quality is
            perfect, and it works great in the standalone Flash Player.
            However on the web it suffers from the same sluggishness as described
            above... Please have a look at my test here...
            http://panoramas.bergmark.com/showPage.php?id=panolist&grp=22&pid=HTBenc\
            hes&vid=Flash
            <http://panoramas.bergmark.com/showPage.php?id=panolist&grp=22&pid=HTBen\
            ches&vid=Flash> ...any suggestions?
            Regards,
            Ingemar Bergmark
            http://panoramas.bergmark.com <http://panoramas.bergmark.com>

          • Thomas Rauscher
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 9, 2006
              Hello Ingemar,

              on Saturday, September 9, 2006, 14:09:01 you wrote:

              >> Hello,
              >>
              >> I just released a new *beta* of Pano2QTVR + FlashPack.
              >> After seeing the quality of the Flash panoramas Pano2QTVR produced,
              IB> I quickly purchased the FlashPack :-) I see a big potential of this
              IB> product....Thanks Thomas! However I do have some problems on my PC
              IB> when viewing any of the Flash panoramas. They are very sluggish to react
              IB> to my mouse movements, and then all of a sudden everything happens at
              IB> once.
              IB> It's like all mouse events have been queued up for some reason, and then
              IB> released in a Flash(:-D)-flood of instructions.

              Hmmm.. this doesn't happen on my machine.. Which version of
              Flash/Internet Explorer/Windows do you use?

              btw: There is a bug in your fullscreen code for FireFox. Only a small
              strip is visible, but very nice panos!

              MfG,
              Thomas.
            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 9, 2006
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Bergmark" <ingemar@...> wrote:

                > It's like all mouse events have been queued up for some reason, and then
                > released in a Flash(:-D)-flood of instructions. I made a sample
                > fullscreen flash-panorama of one of my recent panoramas. The quality is
                > perfect, and it works great in the standalone Flash Player.
                > However on the web it suffers from the same sluggishness as described
                > above... Please have a look at my test here...
                > http://panoramas.bergmark.com/showPage.php?id=panolist&grp=22&pid=HTBenc\
                > hes&vid=Flash
                > <http://panoramas.bergmark.com/showPage.php?id=panolist&grp=22&pid=HTBen\
                > ches&vid=Flash> ...any suggestions?

                Nothing in it.
                I just get the frame and black image.
                Reloading with statusbar says loading 31 of 32 for 10 seconds and no more.
                Flash 9 here on OSX

                Hans
              • Ingemar Bergmark
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 9, 2006
                  Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  TR> Hmmm.. this doesn't happen on my machine.. Which version of
                  TR> Flash/Internet Explorer/Windows do you use?

                  I'm using Macromedia Flash 8/Avant Browser 10.2/Win XP SP2.
                  It's Avant Browser that's the culprit here.
                  When I use IE6 there is no problem at all....great!! :-)

                  TR> btw: There is a bug in your fullscreen code for FireFox. Only a
                  TR> small strip is visible, but very nice panos!

                  I forgot to test the Flash page in other browsers.
                  - As you said, Firefox only displays a small strip...
                  - Opera doesn't display the window at all...[sigh]....
                  I'm working on these things :-)

                  Anyway, thanks for the great work!

                  Regards,
                  Ingemar Bergmark
                  http://panoramas.bergmark.com
                • Bernhard Vogl
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 9, 2006
                    Excellent work Thomas, thank you!

                    I've changed Brocap/Birdcap to be Flash-aware, and set up the page
                    http://www.austria-360.at/ooe/linz/ars2006/
                    to also work with flash.

                    Works with Windows, should work with Mac, but unfortunately doesn't work
                    with Linux, as the latest Flash version for Linux is V.7 which seems to
                    be too old to include the needed features.
                    Feedback is welcome!

                    Best regards
                    Bernhard

                    Thomas Rauscher schrieb:
                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > I just released a new *beta* of Pano2QTVR + FlashPack.
                    >
                    > You can download the latest version from
                    > http://www.pano2qtvr.com/download.php#beta
                    >
                    > The most notable change is the greatly improved speed an quality. The
                    > examples had been updated at
                    > http://www.pano2qtvr.com/sample_flash.php
                    >
                    > I also made a fullscreen version:
                    > http://www.pano2qtvr.com/fs2.php?pic=park_fullscreen&t=4
                    >
                    > Since most of the complains targeted the quality I increase the
                    > default settings and I also reduced the settings to one slider and a
                    > check box. The rest is done automatically.
                    >
                    > I also fixed the bug limiting the window size to 800x800 pixels
                    >
                    > I don't want to mess this list with beta testing so I have set up a
                    > forum at http://www.pano2qtvr.com/forum Lets see how this works out. I
                    > will still post announcements if there is some interest.
                    >
                    > Some features I announced with the last email are still missing, but I
                    > hope you are as exited about the speed/quality improvements as I am to
                    > compensate you for the still missing other features.
                    >
                    > MfG,
                    > Thomas.

                  • Flemming V. Larsen
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 9, 2006
                      Had some problems with linebreak on the link in my e-mail program (where did
                      the backslash come from?!)
                      http://panoramas.bergmark.com/showPage.php?id=panolist&grp=22&pid=HTBenc\
                      hes&vid=Flash
                      And when I figured it out the popup was blocked - had to manually allow it.
                      But I guess you'll implement it in another way i the final version?

                      So please, to all that want to display long url-links could you use one of
                      the short-url services like
                      http://tinyurl.com/ or http://kortlink.dk
                      It's very simple. Just paste your long url in the text field on the page and
                      you get a much shorter version.

                      Here is the link in short version:
                      http://tinyurl.com/m5u2w

                      The flash pano look allright, but still have some waviness and isn't as fast
                      as the other viewers.

                      best regards

                      Flemming
                    • Pat Swovelin
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 9, 2006
                        Flemming V. Larsen wrote:
                        > So please, to all that want to display long url-links could you use
                        > one of
                        > the short-url services like
                        > http://tinyurl.com/ or http://kortlink.dk
                        > It's very simple. Just paste your long url in the text field on the
                        > page and
                        > you get a much shorter version.

                        It's even easier than that, if you install TinyURL in your browser
                        you'll have a TinyURL link in your toolbar. When you click it it sends
                        the current URL to their TinyURL utility and takes you to that page
                        (with your TinyURL). So all you have to do is select your TinyURL on
                        the page (it's out in the open, you can't miss it) and copy it into the
                        clipboard for use wherever. It's really slick.

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • Ingemar Bergmark
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 10, 2006
                          >Hans Nyberg wrote;
                          >Hans: Nothing in it.
                          >Hans: I just get the frame and black image.
                          >Hans: Reloading with statusbar says loading 31 of 32 for 10 seconds
                          >Hans: and no more.
                          >Hans: Flash 9 here on OSX

                          Yeah, I had some problems with different browsers....but now I hope
                          everything is working.
                          I've tested with IE, Firefox and Opera with Flash 9.
                          I've created an extra button for Flash (for the panos that have it), and
                          edited my CSS, so some people who have visited my site before might have
                          to empty their browser cache for the page to display properly...

                          >Flemming V. Larsen wrote;
                          >Flemming: Had some problems with linebreak on the link in my
                          >Flemming: e-mail program (where did the backslash come from?!)

                          Tell me about it....I used the Yahoo Web interface to post my reply, and
                          used the Rich Text Editor (Beta) that they provided.
                          When I previewed my reply everything looked OK, however after posting it
                          the format was really muckud up. Backslashes added and linebreaks
                          removed...Yuk...

                          >Flemming: And when I figured it out the popup was blocked - had to
                          >Flemming: manually allow it. But I guess you'll implement it in another
                          >Flemming: way i the final version?

                          Since I didn't have a Flash button on my panos for the user to click, I
                          forced the browser to open the panorama. This resulted in the
                          popup-blockers to either ask to open the page or (as in the case of
                          Opera) to ignore it completely.
                          This is a thing of the past...now I have a Flash button that users can
                          click :-)

                          http://kortlink.dk <http://kortlink.dk>
                          >Flemming: It's very simple. Just paste your long url in the text field
                          >Flemming: on the page and you get a much shorter version.

                          I didn't realize how simple it was to make one of these services myself.
                          Since I have my own domain I made a short-url service which works perfectly.
                          I still only have one Flash pano for testing, and it can be found here
                          (this link looks better, doesn't it? :-))...
                          http://link.bergmark.com/flashtest

                          The quality is great, even though the panning is a little jerky, but
                          this is a huge file...and fullscreen!! So I'm impressed!

                          Best Regards,
                          Ingemar Bergmark
                          http://panoramas.bergmark.com
                        • pb
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 10, 2006
                            How much speed improvedment can we look forward to, for now I have to use Q10 to run clear of the waving lines, and the result is more like a slideshow then a smoth running pano. http://www.panograf.dk/pano/Man_meets_the_sea.html

                            Per

                          • Thomas Rauscher
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 10, 2006
                              Hello Per,

                              on Sunday, September 10, 2006, 11:39:59 you wrote:

                              p> How much speed improvedment can we look forward to, for now I
                              p> have to use Q10 to run clear of the waving lines, and the result is
                              p> more like a slideshow then a smoth running pano.
                              p> http://www.panograf.dk/pano/Man_meets_the_sea.html

                              Your demo use 3048x3048!!! tiles. This would bring down every player,
                              even QuickTime. If you do the same with SPi-V you would need a Graphic
                              card with 256MB Video RAM!!!

                              Don't expect to much. This Flash Player is all done with 2D
                              operations. In fact I was amazed my self that it runs that smooth in
                              fullscreen and if you reduce the quality and the tile size maybe its
                              even not that bad at all.

                              MfG,
                              Thomas.
                            • Aldo Hoeben
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 11, 2006
                                > p> http://www.panograf.dk/pano/Man_meets_the_sea.html
                                >
                                > Your demo use 3048x3048!!! tiles.
                                > If you do the same with SPi-V you would need a Graphic
                                > card with 256MB Video RAM!!!

                                128 Mb will probably do, but your point is valid.
                              • Thomas Rauscher
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 11, 2006
                                  Aldo Hoeben wrote:
                                  >> p> http://www.panograf.dk/pano/Man_meets_the_sea.html
                                  >>
                                  >> Your demo use 3048x3048!!! tiles.
                                  >> If you do the same with SPi-V you would need a Graphic
                                  >> card with 256MB Video RAM!!!
                                  >
                                  > 128 Mb will probably do, but your point is valid.

                                  How? (3048x3048x6x3=167MB) Did you you find a solution for Shockwaves
                                  "all textures must be in memory" problem? (No offense, just curios!) Do
                                  you (Shockwave) support compressed textures?

                                  MfG,
                                  Thomas
                                • Aldo Hoeben
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 11, 2006
                                    > How? (3048x3048x6x3=167MB) Did you you find a solution for Shockwaves
                                    > "all textures must be in memory" problem? (No offense, just curios!) Do
                                    > you (Shockwave) support compressed textures?

                                    Yes, SPi-V does texture compression, as long as the hardware/driver
                                    supports it. Then again, any card with 128 Mb of video ram supports
                                    texture compression...

                                    'do
                                  • pb
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 11, 2006
                                      Thomas Rauscher <yahoo@...> skrev: Hello Per,

                                      on Sunday, September 10, 2006, 11:39:59 you wrote:

                                      p> How much speed improvedment can we look forward to, for now I
                                      p> have to use Q10 to run clear of the waving lines, and the result is
                                      p> more like a slideshow then a smoth running pano.
                                      p> http://www.panograf.dk/pano/Man_meets_the_sea.html

                                      T>Your demo use 3048x3048!!! tiles. This would bring down every player,
                                      T>even QuickTime. If you do the same with SPi-V you would need a Graphic
                                      T>card with 256MB Video RAM!!!

                                      T>Don't expect to much. This Flash Player is all done with 2D
                                      T>operations. In fact I was amazed my self that it runs that smooth in
                                      T>fullscreen and if you reduce the quality and the tile size maybe its
                                      T>even not that bad at all.
                                      MfG,
                                      Thomas.

                                      I just used the auto tiles to see the result. I know this is unreasonable demans from flash, but actualy i have no problem with QT, but then again i am spoiled with a grafic card with 512MB.
                                      What concers me a lot is, that I will nearly always have to use Q10 or better to avoid the waving lines, even Q9 shows clearly waving lines as soon there is straight lines in the pano. no matter what windovs and tiles size. I will be very happy if I could use smoooooth flash in 450x320 Q10. and use some other viewers for full screen. Somehow the now sold engine was able to do that, you just have to work out how. :-)
                                      I was thinking if it was possible to make a table or even better a database, with different viewers in different windows size and different tiles, that shows what FPS to expect, and some how shows how much CPU and Grafic Ram would affect the result.
                                      This could be a very usefull tool, and as humble photographer this is unfortuanately behind skills, but if someone have the capacity, i will be grateful.
                                      Regards
                                      Per

                                    • Thomas Rauscher
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 11, 2006
                                        Hello Per,

                                        on Monday, September 11, 2006, 23:12:26 you wrote:

                                        p>> How much speed improvedment can we look forward to, for now I
                                        p>> have to use Q10 to run clear of the waving lines, and the result is
                                        p>> more like a slideshow then a smoth running pano.
                                        p>> http://www.panograf.dk/pano/Man_meets_the_sea.html

                                        T>>Your demo use 3048x3048!!! tiles. This would bring down every player,
                                        T>>even QuickTime. If you do the same with SPi-V you would need a Graphic
                                        T>>card with 256MB Video RAM!!!

                                        T>>Don't expect to much. This Flash Player is all done with 2D
                                        T>>operations. In fact I was amazed my self that it runs that smooth in
                                        T>>fullscreen and if you reduce the quality and the tile size maybe its
                                        T>>even not that bad at all.

                                        p> I just used the auto tiles to see the result. I know this is
                                        p> unreasonable demans from flash, but actualy i have no problem with
                                        p> QT, but then again i am spoiled with a grafic card with 512MB.

                                        With is not used at all... Flash doesn't support it (yet).

                                        p> What concers me a lot is, that I will nearly always have to use Q10
                                        p> or better to avoid the waving lines, even Q9 shows clearly waving
                                        p> lines as soon there is straight lines in the pano. no matter what
                                        p> windovs and tiles size. I will be very happy if I could use
                                        p> smoooooth flash in 450x320 Q10. and use some other viewers for full
                                        p> screen. Somehow the now sold engine was able to do that, you just
                                        p> have to work out how. :-)

                                        I know very well how he did it and I will implement it some day, but
                                        this works only for Flash 9. Flash 9 install base is currently around
                                        15%-25% and those people with Flash 9 also have QT or something else!
                                        Mine works with Flash 8 and this is a much larger audience. If you
                                        look close to the other player than you see that he simple blurs the
                                        image while spinning... I can do this too if you like... than you also
                                        don't see waves because you can't see edges ;)))

                                        p> I was thinking if it was possible to make a table or even better a
                                        p> database, with different viewers in different windows size and
                                        p> different tiles, that shows what FPS to expect, and some how shows
                                        p> how much CPU and Grafic Ram would affect the result. This could be
                                        p> a very usefull tool, and as humble photographer this is
                                        p> unfortuanately behind skills, but if someone have the capacity, i
                                        p> will be grateful.

                                        But as you mention there are to many variables like wavyness,
                                        interpolation method etc. You can not get exactly the same results
                                        from each player so 25 fps for Flash are void for you because waves
                                        are a don't go, others don't care that much. All players have their
                                        pros and cons. There is not one "perfect player". This could only be a
                                        guideline. If you look at something like
                                        http://www.nyfeler-mueller.ch/FlashPano/TestFlashPanoramaNormal.htm
                                        than Flash is a good alternative to other technologies and I hope I
                                        can squeeze out as much as possible. The next version will hopefully
                                        be at least 10% faster due to some further optimizations.

                                        MfG,
                                        Thomas.