How do you make and view cylinder projections from Cubic?

  • jeffreycb2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2008
      With QTVRAS I was able to join two cylinder panorama views (before and after) end to end,
      limit the view tilt angles and create a panorama movie that when rotated showed before and
      after as a comparison.
      Does anyone know how to do this from the Cubic projections created from PTGui?

      I note the cubic equirectangular panorama is distorted to suit cubic viewers and not
      cylinders, hence the above older technique no longer works. Even cropping both views,
      joining, increasing the canvas back to equirectangular, processing through Cubic Converter
      results in a joined panorama. However the projections are visually wrong.

      Has anyone else played around with this?

      Perhaps I need to treat the images a flat partial panorama. So the viewer can pan from one
      to the other and back again - but not all the way around 360 degrees?

      Jeffrey
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
        On Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 3:23, jeffreycb2000 wrote:

        > With QTVRAS I was able to join two cylinder panorama views (before and
        > after) end to end, limit the view tilt angles and create a panorama
        > movie that when rotated showed before and after as a comparison. Does
        > anyone know how to do this from the Cubic projections created from
        > PTGui?

        You can show before and after in two synchronized panoramic viewers.
        Almost any viewer which can be controlled by javascript can do this,
        like in this example:
        http://haanhouse.com/then-now/plantparktampafl.html

        With some specialized viewers there are additional possibilities,
        f.e. blend seamlessly between for and after or show each in one half
        of the window. Some nice examples with Spi-V (requires Shokwave):
        http://fieldofview.com/spv/show.php?file=metamorphosis.xml
        http://fieldofview.com/spv/show.php?dcr=split.dcr&file=euromast.xml
        (this one didn't work for me)
        http://fieldofview.com/spv/show.php?dcr=goggle.dcr&file=ir-pond01.xml
        (an example showing another pano in a circular frame inside)
        http://fieldofview.com/spv/show.php?file=day-night_switch.xml
        (this one can be switched with the small circle down left)

        > I note the cubic equirectangular panorama is distorted to suit cubic viewers and not
        > cylinders, hence the above older technique no longer works. Even cropping both views,
        > joining, increasing the canvas back to equirectangular, processing through Cubic Converter
        > results in a joined panorama. However the projections are visually wrong.

        Yes, of course. There is nothing like a 720° sphere ;-)

        > Has anyone else played around with this?

        My attempt: http://pano.erik-krause.de/borders/ here of course only
        one half of each panoram is visible.

        > Perhaps I need to treat the images a flat partial panorama. So the viewer can pan from one
        > to the other and back again - but not all the way around 360 degrees?

        You can simply use a cylinder. Load your equirect into PTGui, set
        360° equirect on lens paramters and output as cylindrical. You can
        even seamlessly blend both versions, like here
        http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp_rss/go/n738

        best regards

      • jeffreycb2000
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2008
          Thanks Erik,
          You answered an earlier posts of mine in the process as well.
          I was thinking too much about the issue rather than just doing it and seeing what happens.
          720 degree, 1440 degree cylinders within the cube - yep it all works.
          thanks too for the examples - I would love to learn how to do some of these.
          Any tips on the best way to learn how these work - or are they simply "just purchase the
          software and follow the instructions"

          Can the flash players be synchronized in the same way?

          Thanks again
          Jeffrey