Re: [PanoToolsNG] A nice place - a try to compose in 360°

  • Stephan
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
      I think, in Germany fruit trees are painted white in autumn because this
      way the trees don't heat up that much during sunny winter days. If they
      would, ice in the bark could thaw and freeze again, resulting in bark
      that would peel off when the freezing water expands.

      Ken Warner wrote:

      > So you can see them in the dark. Same in Mexico
      > and some areas in the US.
      >
      > Daniel Reetz wrote:
      > > I was in Russia for a year, and I saw the trees painted white around
      > > the base like that, but never thought to ask about it.
      > >
      > > Why are the bases of the trees painted white?
      > >
      > > Nice pano. Makes me long for the dacha.
      > > Regards,
      > > DR
      > >
      > > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Alex <aspielberg@...
      > <mailto:aspielberg%40rcn.com>> wrote:
      > >
      > >>Beautiful image Dorin.
      > >>Thanks for sharing this.
      > >>Alex

      > <http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/pensiune03/qt/pano.html>
      > <http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/pensiune03/qt/pano.html>>

    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
        On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

        > So you can see them in the dark. Same in Mexico
        > and some areas in the US.

        Ohhh oh

        Here in Brazil, sometimes, they paint the tree's bases with white paint but
        for a real reason.

        It is an old prevention with ants and some insects that give up on the trees
        and then they last longer

        It's the only reason, because besides that it is very ugly to llok at

        Has nothing to do with darkness :-)
        At least here.

        best
        AYRTON

        > Daniel Reetz wrote:
        > > I was in Russia for a year, and I saw the trees painted white around
        > > the base like that, but never thought to ask about it.
        > >
        > > Why are the bases of the trees painted white?
        > >
        > > Nice pano. Makes me long for the dacha.
        > > Regards,
        > > DR
        > >
        > > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Alex <aspielberg@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >>Beautiful image Dorin.
        > >>Thanks for sharing this.
        > >>Alex

        ------------
        | A Y R |
        | T O N |
        ------------

        + 55 21 9982 6313

        http://ayrton360.com
        http://rio.360cities.net
        http://vrfolio.com
        http://ayrton.com

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
          Finally a right and correct answer :-)That's it

          best
          AYRTON

          On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:32 PM, <crane@...> wrote:

          > Quoting Daniel Reetz <danreetz@...>:
          >
          > > I was in Russia for a year, and I saw the trees painted white around
          > > the base like that, but never thought to ask about it.
          > >
          > > Why are the bases of the trees painted white?
          >

          > Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
          > GREAT QUESTION!
          >
          > I couldn't stop laughing with some answers!
          >
          > It is not white paint, it is calcium hidroxide (we call it "cal").
          >
          > I'm a mexican farmer, we used to have peach trees (no more, now we are
          > producing corn and wheat), and I know the actual reason we do that:
          >
          > Well, yes, it is related with insects control (NOT nails, nails are a NOT a
          > problem in most of México), specifically to one kind of ants that are very
          > common here "hormigas arrieras" (Formicidae attini), which cut the leeds
          > and
          > take them to their home. They raise some fungi in there to eat it later.
          > But
          > the problem with the trees is that they can kill a tree!.
          >
          > And, It does work!. It is cheaper than trying to kill the ants, it burns
          > them 'cause it is too alcaline for them (it is even too alcaline for
          > humans,
          > high pH) and the ants avoid walking over it, you caould make a test. There
          > are
          > some other insects too that are controlled this way, but those ants are the
          > main.
          >
          > Here a link about this:
          > http://aupec.univalle.edu.co/informes/ma...
          > 1 month ago

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
          ------------

          + 55 21 9982 6313

          http://ayrton360.com
          http://rio.360cities.net
          http://vrfolio.com
          http://ayrton.com

        • bohonus
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
            Yes, here is the same practice in Vladimir, Russia-

            http://tinyurl.com/5lalwy

            Though the locals might tell you that it is to remind them that anything left lying around
            that is not taller than the white on the tree (the exact height of a Lada without wheels on it
            for example) can be safely kept there through the winter because no one will find/see it.
            ;)

            I am joking of course :)

            We did the same in Arizona to prevent bugs etc.

            -- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Reetz" <danreetz@...> wrote:

            > I was in Russia for a year, and I saw the trees painted white around
            > the base like that, but never thought to ask about it.
            >
            > Why are the bases of the trees painted white?
            >
            > Nice pano. Makes me long for the dacha.
            > Regards,
            > DR
          • Daniel Reetz
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
              Thanks for the information -- very interesting...

              All these great panos are making me miss Russia... :(
              DR

              On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:05 PM, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:
              > Yes, here is the same practice in Vladimir, Russia-
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/5lalwy
              >
              > Though the locals might tell you that it is to remind them that anything
              > left lying around
              > that is not taller than the white on the tree (the exact height of a Lada
              > without wheels on it
              > for example) can be safely kept there through the winter because no one will
              > find/see it.
              > ;)
              >
              > I am joking of course :)
              >
              > We did the same in Arizona to prevent bugs etc.
              >
              > -- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Reetz" <danreetz@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I was in Russia for a year, and I saw the trees painted white around
              >> the base like that, but never thought to ask about it.
              >>
              >> Why are the bases of the trees painted white?
              >>
              >> Nice pano. Makes me long for the dacha.
              >> Regards,
              >> DR

            • Kathy Wheeler
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                Stunning Dorin!

                >> dorindxn wrote:
                >>> Hi, I hope you'll like it. I also love to have some feedback :)
                >>>
                >>> http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/pensiune03/qt/pano.html

                After all that fascinating info on the calcium hydroxide (white
                paint) I must look into it further. Ants are a problem here with my
                sapling olives and citrus :(

                On 06/08/2008, at 5:05 AM, Fabio Bustamante wrote:
                > I usually don't find even the color of vegetation in my own
                > panos totally satisfying. This is a big internal issue for me! Can
                > never
                > find the perfect hue and saturation... :-)

                I found the colour beautiful - that's what early morning (and late
                afternoon) light can sometimes be like here too.

                I don't know if there is such a thing as the "perfect" hue and
                saturation. Nature plays such wonderful games with our colour
                perceptions from one season to the next, from overcast to clear and
                sunny. Anyone who has had the misfortune to live in an area affected
                by bushfires will know the eire and acrid red / orange hues the smoke
                haze imparts to everything, including the blood red sun ...

                I've seen enough of this small planet of ours to know the quality of
                light differs from one geographic location to the next. It probably
                has a lot to do with the way the surrounding landscape / waterscape
                and atmosphere absorbs or reflects sunlight. In Australia for example
                mountains often appear blue due to a haze produced by the oil from
                Eucalyptus trees. I think it's all wonderful and there is no such
                thing as "right" or "wrong" natural lighting. It might seem strange
                sometimes, but it is what it is.

                Cheers,
                KathyW.
              • dorindxn
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                  Thank you

                  Dorin

                  > Hi Dorin,
                  >
                  > It's beautiful. Almost surrieal colors. I love the
                  > clarity of your panos.
                  >
                  > dorindxn wrote:
                  > > Hi, I hope you'll like it. I also love to have some feedback :)
                  > >
                  > > http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/pensiune03/qt/pano.html
                  > >
                  > > thanks,
                  > > Dorin

                • dorindxn
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                    Yes that will be an intersting pano I'll need to do some focus
                    fussion though to keep everything sharp or I'll make two panos one
                    focused on beetles and the other one focused far on. then, in
                    DevalVR, I'll script and a ssign a to have some key for focus,
                    in the same way we do for timelapse pano

                    Still I found the opening view in this pano a bit interesting about
                    the living trees painted in white and the "bench trees" having a
                    natural white cloth, as the bench and table are made from a kind of
                    wood with white bark.

                    thanks,

                    Dorin

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:

                    > Quoting dorindxn <Dorin@...>:
                    >
                    > > Hi, I hope you'll like it. I also love to have some feedback :)
                    > >
                    > > http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/pensiune03/qt/pano.html
                    >
                    > I don't object but why did you fotograph this subject / it is not
                    very
                    > interesting. I always see this white around trees I guess this is a
                    lime wash
                    > to stop some beetles or something infesting the tree. is that
                    right ? maybe if
                    > you could get close to one of these bugs and keep everything else
                    in focus
                    > that would be a challenge!
                    > regards
                    >

                    > mick
                    >

                    > > thanks,
                    > > Dorin

                  • dorindxn
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                      thank you,

                      Dorin

                      > beautifull view Dorinthanks for sharing
                      > best
                      > AYRTON
                      >

                      > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 1:58 PM, dorindxn <Dorin@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hi, I hope you'll like it. I also love to have some feedback :)
                      > >
                      > > http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/pensiune03/qt/pano.html
                      > >
                      > > thanks,
                      > > Dorin
                      > >

                      > > ------------------------------------
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > >

                      > --
                      > ------------
                      > | A Y R |
                      > | T O N |
                      > ------------
                      >
                      > + 55 21 9982 6313
                      >
                      > http://ayrton360.com
                      > http://rio.360cities.net
                      > http://vrfolio.com
                      > http://ayrton.com

                    • dorindxn
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                        I think I know what hapened there at the blending, I did a quick fix
                        now and will be a perfect cure later.

                        thank you very much!

                        Dorin

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin"

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                          Hi Fabio, the hardware used was Canon 350D with Sigma 8mm 3.5,
                          NodalNinja 3, Giottos tripod, remote.
                          6 around bracketed shoots (18 photos were taked)
                          The time was back in the spring this year in april 28th at around 10
                          AM local time.

                          thank you,

                          Dorin

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Fantastic work, Dorin.
                          >
                          > Unless you're using some kind of hardware with huge dynamic range,
                          > know exactly how much work it takes to have such a soft and natural
                          > overall contrast.. and you still keep the local contrast great. Not
                          > mention the place itself.
                          >
                          > Maybe the grass' color is not perfectly in tune with my taste, but
                          don't
                          > worry.. I usually don't find even the color of vegetation in my own
                          > panos totally satisfying. This is a big internal issue for me! Can
                          never
                          > find the perfect hue and saturation... :-)
                          >
                          > A long time ago I installed a Deval VR version that takes over
                          Quick
                          > Time panoramas. Your pano certainly looks perfect in full screen
                          and
                          > with such smooth panning! Can't barely wait for the day we will
                          have
                          > this quality within Flash...
                          >
                          > Congrats!
                          >

                          > dorindxn wrote:
                          > > Hi, I hope you'll like it. I also love to have some feedback :)
                          > >
                          > > http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/pensiune03/qt/pano.html
                          > >
                          > > thanks,
                          > > Dorin
                          > >

                          > > ------------------------------------

                        • dorindxn
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                            Thank you, yes the nature is very beautiful there the air is fresh,
                            no poluted and was a rain in a day before. Was in the morning back in
                            april this year in Maramures, northern region of Romania.

                            Dorin
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

                            > Stunning Dorin!

                            > After all that fascinating info on the calcium hydroxide (white
                            > paint) I must look into it further. Ants are a problem here with
                            my
                            > sapling olives and citrus :(
                            >

                            > On 06/08/2008, at 5:05 AM, Fabio Bustamante wrote:
                            > > I usually don't find even the color of vegetation in my own
                            > > panos totally satisfying. This is a big internal issue for me!
                            Can
                            > > never
                            > > find the perfect hue and saturation... :-)
                            >

                            > I found the colour beautiful - that's what early morning (and late
                            > afternoon) light can sometimes be like here too.
                            >
                            > I don't know if there is such a thing as the "perfect" hue and
                            > saturation. Nature plays such wonderful games with our colour
                            > perceptions from one season to the next, from overcast to clear
                            and
                            > sunny. Anyone who has had the misfortune to live in an area
                            affected
                            > by bushfires will know the eire and acrid red / orange hues the
                            smoke
                            > haze imparts to everything, including the blood red sun ...
                            >
                            > I've seen enough of this small planet of ours to know the quality
                            of
                            > light differs from one geographic location to the next. It
                            probably
                            > has a lot to do with the way the surrounding landscape /
                            waterscape
                            > and atmosphere absorbs or reflects sunlight. In Australia for
                            example
                            > mountains often appear blue due to a haze produced by the oil from
                            > Eucalyptus trees. I think it's all wonderful and there is no such
                            > thing as "right" or "wrong" natural lighting. It might seem
                            strange
                            > sometimes, but it is what it is.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > KathyW.

                          • dorindxn
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                              Thank you Alex,

                              Dorin

                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Alex <aspielberg@...> wrote:

                              > Beautiful image Dorin.
                              > Thanks for sharing this.
                              > Alex
                              >

                              > dorindxn wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi, I hope you'll like it. I also love to have some feedback :)
                              > >
                              > > http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/pensiune03/qt/pano.html
                              > > <http://dorin.devalvr.com/dxn_pano/pensiune03/qt/pano.html>
                              > >
                              > > thanks,
                              > > Dorin

                            • dorindxn
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 5, 2008
                                wrote:

                                > I was in Russia for a year, and I saw the trees painted white around
                                > the base like that, but never thought to ask about it.
                                >
                                > Why are the bases of the trees painted white?

                                them are painted to prevent some insects to infest the tree and on
                                the winter time to prevent some animals (rabits and other local
                                species) to eat the bark of the trees.

                                thanks,
                                Dorin